What's new

Happy to be here

Hello everyone,

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice I've already received.

I started the DE journey with shaving three weeks ago. I stumbled upon a DE video on YouTube (still not sure how it came up in my feed). That started the curiosity and I started watching more and more videos, checking out sites like Razor Emporium, West Coast Shaving, Mertz Apothecary, etc.

I did some research on razors and decided to go with the Rockwell 6C because it was 1)adjustable, 2)within my price range, 3) I had read and seen many favorable reviews on YouTube and various online sources. My wife convinced me to use the Rockwell site as a one stop shop for my first order (mostly due to free shipping and a 10% discount on the order), so I ordered the razor, brush and cream. I picked up some witch hazel locally and sourced s lather bowl from Menards when I was in Illinois a few weeks ago for work.

I am still working on improving my technique and thank everyone for the advice I have thus far received.

I travel a lot for work, and each new hotel brings it's own changes to my shaving experience. The water by state, or even city in said state varies, so I am constantly trying to adjust my water to cream ratio.

So far I have learned that with the new routine, I actually enjoy shaving. The Rockwell blades are not bad, but I plan on trying other blades to see what works best for me. I am still working on mapping my growth pattern (especially on my neck) in order to reduce, or avoid razor burn and in grown hairs on one side of my neck.

As I mentioned, I travel extensively for work and am always looking for a good local shop to pick up supplies. If you have a favorite place to shop anywhere in the country, let me know. Chances are I could be in that area in the future.

Welcome to B&B. Here is a link to a page that lists some sources for shaving supplies. West Coast Shaving as well as Merz have retail stores in addition to an internet presence. If you are ever in Manhattan be sure to look up Pasteur's Pharmacy; it is a shaving mecca.

I plan on visiting West Coast Shaving next week when I'm in Los Angeles. I may be working in Chicago later this year, and would like to visit Merz.

The company for which I work is based in Long Island, and I worked in Manhattan late last year (before my foray into wet shaving).

Great read JT! I don’t travel even a fraction of what you must do, but I find that this kind of shaving brings a taste of home and respite wherever I go!

For traveling pick up some Arko or Tabac shave sticks.

Guaranteed to lather with any water.

I want to get a Tabac stick. It is on my list of soaps to acquire.

Great read JT! I don’t travel even a fraction of what you must do, but I find that this kind of shaving brings a taste of home and respite wherever I go!

I travel 75-85% of the time. So far this year I have been to upstate New York, North Carolina, South Carolina, California, Illinois, and Wisconsin. I’m tentatively scheduled to go to Virginia in June as well.

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! You got some nice gear already, the Rockwell 6C is an outstanding razor. Take your time, work on improving technique, & most importantly-enjoy!

Welcome aboard! I have a bunch of blades I don't use anymore, so I can send you a small sampler of different brands if you want to try out some better ones.

The Rockwell brand blades - at least the ones they sold a year or two ago - are some of the dullest blades on the market. It's not much of a surprise to hear they're not working well for you.

PM me an address where I can send an envelope via USPS, and I'll stuff a variety of 8 or 10 blades in there.

Welcome to B&B! Mapping your beard is indeed important. The growth patterns on the neck are typically very irregular and difficult to map accurately. There is an excellent thread HERE that contains lots of useful information about the challenges of shaving the neck area.

Top Bottom