What's new

Happy Thanksgiving!!

I hope everyone is having a relaxing and enjoyable thanksgiving holiday today.

I haven’t lit up a bowl yet but I did smoke the traditional thanksgiving turkey. Smaller group than our usual 35-40 but it was wonderful just the same.

Oh and while I’m here and it’s thanksgiving, the way our big box retailers act, I’ll go ahead and say Merry Christmas! 🤣🤣

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
4FF531AA-670C-4773-A429-71ECB7EECFEE.gif

Happy Thanksgiving to you all as well! Hope your turkey cooking efforts worked out well!🤪

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I'm very thankful to kinda sorta know you all. Have a good day and I'm looking forward to the pipes and cigars you choose this night if you can make it off the couch.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Happy Thanksgiving to all. We’re waiting until Saturday to do the cooking because my wife is on call and I would hate for her to miss the food. Had to settle for Lobster Ravioli and cheesy grits for dinner.

seabee1999

Lobster ravioli sounds amazing to me!

I love smoking meats, turkey was juicy and full of flavor. Smoked it on apple wood and everyone ate all but about a pound of meat.

Smoked a turkey here as well. I use a drum smoker and this was the second time I smoked a turkey in it. It turned out quite well. We had a smaller than expected turn out but we have enough for leftovers and making turkey stock in the crockpot with the bones now. The house smells amazing!

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I usually smoke a Turkey but don’t have the family here to eat it this year. Picked up a ham that I’m going to do instead.

Smoked a turkey here as well. I use a drum smoker and this was the second time I smoked a turkey in it. It turned out quite well. We had a smaller than expected turn out but we have enough for leftovers and making turkey stock in the crockpot with the bones now. The house smells amazing!

I almost went with a drum smoker for the backyard but one year I smoked a turkey on a Weber kettle and I never looked back.

seabee1999

I almost went with a drum smoker for the backyard but one year I smoked a turkey on a Weber kettle and I never looked back.

A number of years ago, my pastor and I would meet weekly for coffee. We’d talk on all kinds of subjects with BBQ and smokers was something we’d talk on often. During one of our conversations, he convinced me to look at the possibility of a drum. He had built his own from a 30 gal drum and it worked pretty well. So I decided to research it as well. In the end, I had designed and built one too from things I had read online. Overnight I went from using a Brinkman cheap offset smoker to my drum exclusively. Smoked all kinds of meat in it without issue. I can relate to not looking back notion 😊.

ECCD0FEB-A59D-4D9C-8DDB-A97CA5CA4329.jpeg

A number of years ago, my pastor and I would meet weekly for coffee. We’d talk on all kinds of subjects with BBQ and smokers was something we’d talk on often. During one of our conversations, he convinced me to look at the possibility of a drum. He had built his own from a 30 gal drum and it worked pretty well. So I decided to research it as well. In the end, I had designed and built one too from things I had read online. Overnight I went from using a Brinkman cheap offset smoker to my drum exclusively. Smoked all kinds of meat in it without issue. I can relate to not looking back notion 😊.

View attachment 1187396

I really like that setup. That looks slick.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.
We had a 16 lbs turkey, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, rolls and a crumb cake for desert. Then watch football and then smoked a Toscano 1492. My team did not lose, they also did not play. I was a good day.

Happy Thanksgiving y'all! I'm currently sitting at home with the wife while we are in quarantine. Lots of text messages with family. Mostly how I am doing etc. They wanted to get on zoom and I said no one wants to hear me or see me right now. (I barely have any symptoms but the ones I do are a pain in the *** and I have it much easier than a lot of people!)

I have an UGLY drum smoker I put together. Almost rusted through... The vent hole on thebottom is just that. A hole. The fitting with valve broke off as the drum started to deteriorate. Smokes just fine. I control the heat by popping the top off if it needs to be hotter. A whole inch if it really needs air flow and closed when it doesn't need any more than it gets. There is a "chimney" actually two but sometimes they don't let enough air flow...

Hopefully a new house soon. I'll take what hardware I can salvage off this one and start new. Possibly spring for a new stainless steel barrel this time.

I may smoke a bird on saturday. I have one in the fridge. Dropped off from my boss. It would at least free up oven space to cook other things.

Happy smokes gents!

Top Bottom