What's new

Happy New Year Acquisitions! JAN 2021

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Not my intent to double a post but this is more fitted for this thread.

It was a rainy, cold day here so I made two orders on a variety of things I've never tried before. I've also been revisiting everything in my cellar lately and I'm getting a sweet tongue for aromatics lately.

At Boswells, I ordered the following in 2oz samplers

Boswell Chocolate Cream
Boswell Christmas Cookie
Boswell Bear Blend
Boswell No Bite DeLite
Boswell Sweet & Mild
Boswell Sweet Tea
Boswell Piper's Pleasure
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor (finally found it!)

At TobaccoPipes, I ordered the following

Presbyterian, 1 tin (I know SP has it cheaper but I wasn't going to make a 3rd order and pay the shipping)
Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake, 1 tin
Sutliff D54 Chocolate Supreme, 2oz
Sutliff Ready Rubbed, 2oz
Two Friends English Chocolate, 2oz

A bunch of pipe cleaners

I've never tried anything from Boswells. Not sure why...the more I read the reviews on tobaccoreviews the more I kept adding 2oz of more blends into the cart.

Excellent haul. The No Bite Delight is an aromatic winner. Be sure to try his Pennsylvania Dutch Treat next time. His Northwoods is also an amazing twist on a light to medium English.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My "Drummond" Lovat came today.

IMG_20210126_134403201.jpg

IMG_20210126_134412878.jpg

IMG_20210126_134439311.jpg

IMG_20210126_134455364.jpg

IMG_20210126_134501694.jpg

I got the cake trimmed way down, and after cleaning the screw tenon and mortise, the stem now lines up. I thought I was going to have to do the lighter trick. Unfortunately, as of right now, this isn't going to end up as one of my favorites. The draw is way too tight. I think the problem is in the stem, which won't pass a cleaner (but I can see through it). I'll have to play with it some more tonight.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Some odds and ends, to replenish the winter tinned smoking stocks:

Some Mac Baren Navy Flakes, a few extra of Escudo and Orlik GS, a few of Stanwell Melange for my son, and a few more of Squadron Leader.

A note on the SG tins. Two separate vendors told me today that all the SG distributor is now giving them are dented tins, because that’s all that’s left. And they don’t know when the next batch will be coming over. That’s consistent with my last order of SL; all the tins had bottom depressions on them.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
A further update on the current SG/SL issues. One order arrived, with numerous breached seals. The vendor gladly took them all back, and indicated the known problem.

Dented tins are going out. Tins are going out with breached seals.

Another vendor was only able to ship out a partial order, because many had breached seals.

FYI, SP just this morning got a batch of SL in, with order limits. My guess is they are all getting the same remaining stock, until the next master shipment rolls in from the UK. Until then, expect dents, and some may have broken seals. Who knows how long they have been sitting in warehouse.

So if you are ordering SG tins for cellaring, ask your vendor to sniff test any dented ones before shipping.

Or wait until the distributor gets fresh stock from SG, whenever that is.

I don’t know if this is impacting other SG blends, but it is a present known problem with SL.

Excellent haul. The No Bite Delight is an aromatic winner. Be sure to try his Pennsylvania Dutch Treat next time. His Northwoods is also an amazing twist on a light to medium English.

Everything arrived same day, today. I smoked the SG chocolate flake. Glad I only got the tin and not the box. I personally found it nothing special.

I finally got my hands on Grousemoor. I see why they only sell that in tins. I loved the tin scent. The smoke was fine but not memorable.

Boswells Christmas Cookie was next. The bag note was wonderful, the smoke not so much. I’m revisiting this with other pipes. I am positive I’m missing something there.

Next up was Boswells Bear Blend. That is an amazing smoke. It’s just like Sutliff Z50 Black Cordial but 50% strength. I’ll keep a pound of that around. I was heading to No Bite Delight next but the winds picked up and my fire was dying out.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Everything arrived same day, today. I smoked the SG chocolate flake. Glad I only got the tin and not the box. I personally found it nothing special.

I finally got my hands on Grousemoor. I see why they only sell that in tins. I loved the tin scent. The smoke was fine but not memorable.

Boswells Christmas Cookie was next. The bag note was wonderful, the smoke not so much. I’m revisiting this with other pipes. I am positive I’m missing something there.

Next up was Boswells Bear Blend. That is an amazing smoke. It’s just like Sutliff Z50 Black Cordial but 50% strength. I’ll keep a pound of that around. I was heading to No Bite Delight next but the winds picked up and my fire was dying out.
Bear Blend is one I keep in the cabinet. Another to consider if you like that one is their Hunter’s Choice.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

I think some of the SG blends do genuinely need ageing before they are ready to smoke. I've had a few that had a kind of raw taste to it. Chocolate Flake was one of those. It just didn't taste smoke-ready at all to me. I have a tin stashed away for later, which I expect to taste a lot better than the "fresh" sample I smoked last year.

Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown and Golden Glow were the same. To me, there was just a slightly citric hot air taste coming through the pipe, but Germain's Virginia blends were much better in comparison. The difference between the Gawith ones, and the Brown Flake, Medium Flake, and Virginia Gold Leaf from Jersey, was huge to me. However, the Gawith ones aged are very highly thought of. Again, I have a tin of each cooking in the drawer. :)

I think some of the SG blends do genuinely need ageing before they are ready to smoke. I've had a few that had a kind of raw taste to it. Chocolate Flake was one of those. It just didn't taste smoke-ready at all to me. I have a tin stashed away for later, which I expect to taste a lot better than the "fresh" sample I smoked last year.

Full Virginia Flake, Best Brown and Golden Glow were the same. To me, there was just a slightly citric hot air taste coming through the pipe, but Germain's Virginia blends were much better in comparison. The difference between the Gawith ones, and the Brown Flake, Medium Flake, and Virginia Gold Leaf from Jersey, was huge to me. However, the Gawith ones aged are very highly thought of. Again, I have a tin of each cooking in the drawer. :)

I’ve got a few pounds of FVF aged as far back as 6 years. It’s amazing to see the different between fresh and 5 years aged FVF. Wouldn’t think it was the same flake.

You were spot on! I snuck in a bowl of No Bite Delight and that was impressive. I've got a few more to get through on this sample of Boswell's blends but I know Bear Blend and No Bite Delight will have a pound or two put on the shelf as a go to year round blend.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
sounds like I’ll be making another order tonight to grab

Pennsylvania Delight
Hunters Choice
Northwoods

any others I should toss in?

All those are great smokes. The PA Dutch Treat is the most aromatic of that trio. The Northwoods is a different kind of English, and the Hunter’s Choice is a Burley-centered blend (I like Burley, YMMV).

You seem to have nailed all my favorite Boswell blends. Perhaps others can chime in with some others.

If you are going to cellar his blends, his toppings are premium quality and last. But see my jarring tip in the earlier thread on tobacco spoliation in storage if you are going to lay his up for longer durations. Also, ask Rachel to place in the order a duplicate set of ID stickers on your selections. I find it convenient to just slap the extra Boswell labels on the mason jars.

Happy puffs!

Top Bottom