What's new

Happy New Year Acquisitions! JAN 2021

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I haven’t had an opportunity yet to smoke either blend. I can this though, the pouch note from both blends was rather strong, perfumey and seemingly a stout Lakeland,
floral scent (at least to me). The scent wasn’t what I was expecting to smell when first removed from the shipping package. FWIW, I got them in bulk and not in the tin.

I think both of those are only available in bulk/loose. Well, this side of the puddle anyway. I haven't tried the Nougat, but the Delite (from what little I have left) has a typical Gawith tin note, but with a kind of cherry liqueur chocolate scent too. I find it a very easy smoking blend. Not gloopy at all.

It's supposed to be their take on Lane 1Q, which isn't available over here, so if you've smoked that too, a comparison would be cool :thumbup1:

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
I think both of those are only available in bulk/loose. Well, this side of the puddle anyway. I haven't tried the Nougat, but the Delite (from what little I have left) has a typical Gawith tin note, but with a kind of cherry liqueur chocolate scent too. I find it a very easy smoking blend. Not gloopy at all.

It's supposed to be their take on Lane 1Q, which isn't available over here, so if you've smoked that too, a comparison would be cool :thumbup1:

I have some 1Q in a jar and smoke it quite often. I’ll do a side by side one day soon and let you know my thoughts on them both.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Pound of G&H Dark Birds Eye, 2 oz. each of: G&H Burley and Bright, G&H Coniston Cut Plug, G&H Bosun Cut Plug and G&H Kendal Kentucky. All jarred and ready for a cellar nap (all but 1 jar of Dark Birds Eye). Also a pouch of Mixture 79 for good measure 😄
20210112_222109.jpg

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
Another Chinese lighter. I've been looking for an IMCO 2200 for a long time, but they're expensive and hard to find. This isn't a copy, but it's reminiscent of the 2200, and it's cheap and readily available. And while you can't remove the fuel tank for use as a pipe lighter, the sliding windscreen leaves the wick exposed, which is almost as good. It even came with a brush (I'm assuming to clean the striker wheel), some flints, and some spare parts. I just got it yesterday, but I'm pretty happy so far.

IMG_20210115_130042367.jpg

IMG_20210115_130117580.jpg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
In my quest for Middleton codger blends I managed to find a tub of Carter Hall. I also got 2oz of “golden one” from a local shop that I am almost 100% sure is 1Q.

In my quest for Middleton codger blends I managed to find a tub of Carter Hall. I also got 2oz of “golden one” from a local shop that I am almost 100% sure is 1Q.
I have a couple bags of 1Q but in different labels from different shops.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Tub of LLRR, a couple of tins of MacBaren Vanilla Roll Cake, an MM Mark Twain, and a whole mess of pipe cleaners in different forms. Extra fluffy to bristle tapered. I’ve got a few estate pipes I need to get cleaned up and into rotation. By “a few” I mean 12.

Not my intent to double a post but this is more fitted for this thread.

It was a rainy, cold day here so I made two orders on a variety of things I've never tried before. I've also been revisiting everything in my cellar lately and I'm getting a sweet tongue for aromatics lately.

At Boswells, I ordered the following in 2oz samplers

Boswell Chocolate Cream
Boswell Christmas Cookie
Boswell Bear Blend
Boswell No Bite DeLite
Boswell Sweet & Mild
Boswell Sweet Tea
Boswell Piper's Pleasure
Samuel Gawith Grousemoor (finally found it!)

At TobaccoPipes, I ordered the following

Presbyterian, 1 tin (I know SP has it cheaper but I wasn't going to make a 3rd order and pay the shipping)
Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake, 1 tin
Sutliff D54 Chocolate Supreme, 2oz
Sutliff Ready Rubbed, 2oz
Two Friends English Chocolate, 2oz

A bunch of pipe cleaners

I've never tried anything from Boswells. Not sure why...the more I read the reviews on tobaccoreviews the more I kept adding 2oz of more blends into the cart.

Ok, I put the tea kettle on and let the steam hit the mortise for a bit, so it's tightened its grip enough that I can smoke the pipe. Hopefully smoking will tighten it some more. Do you think this fix will last, or will I have to do this frequently?

Something I've done on vintage pipes with stem issues is putting a few layers of epoxy on the stem, purposely making it a bit too big to fit, then taking a fine sandpaper and evenly smoothly it down to a good fit.

I'm sorry to hear about your family loss.

View attachment 1208642
In the bags are 4oz Sutliff Virginia Slices destined for the cellar and 2oz GH #7 Broken Flake.

Nuts! I forgot to throw in a cob for the Lakeland. I guess I'm swinging by the store tomorrow.

The 507 VA Slices - how much age to you cellar them? I've got 8oz jarred up. Smoked it fresh, as suspected it's a no go fresh for me. I figured some age will really make those slices exceptional.

The 507 VA Slices - how much age to you cellar them? I've got 8oz jarred up. Smoked it fresh, as suspected it's a no go fresh for me. I figured some age will really make those slices exceptional.
I have no idea. This is the first time I bought anything for the intent of cellaring. I have other stuff ahead of it, some with 6+ months of age. My hope is to split up the order into 4 jars. 6 months, one year, 18 months, two years. But it depends on how fast I go through what's ahead of it in line. Everything could really be bumped back by a few months.

Top Bottom