What's new

Happy New Year Acquisitions! JAN 2021

Wow. No new thread. So here we go! Post'em up gents!

I received a late Christmas gift today from another member here. I am speechless and moved to joy in a day I was given gray news about my knee injuries. Thank you so much.

The Riserva Xtra Viejo is a favorite and I look forward to it every December but there were none to be found at my local shops this year. The Opus X are always fun and the AJ farmed rolled are going to be a great experience.
PXL_20210104_214500724.jpg

seabee1999

On the lookout for new chicks
Not really a January acquisition but it will start being used this month. I got this pipe stand last month in Colorado for <$1. Went ahead and sanded it down and put some leather dye on it. Finished it off with a coat of spray lacquer. I think it turned out quite nice.

7A4E8651-5010-4C03-B67A-3C29D9DD2F4F.jpeg

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Not really a January acquisition but it will start being used this month. I got this pipe stand last month in Colorado for <$1. Went ahead and sanded it down and put some leather dye on it. Finished it off with a coat of spray lacquer. I think it turned out quite nice.

View attachment 1204668
Very nice Dave! I feel like a fool. I spent $7.50 on a 5 pipe holder the other day...

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur

View attachment 1204668
Great job. I happen to have the exact same stand. Well made and functional.

Kilroy6644

Smoking a corn dog in aviators and a top hat
My aunt unexpectedly passed away just before Christmas, so my parents have been going through her things, and today they gave me this.

IMG_20210105_205636646.jpg

I don't expect I'll get much use out of it. Very rarely do I roll cigarettes with my pipe tobacco, and it's way too big to use as an everyday lighter if you're not using it as a cigarette case as well. But it's an interesting curio, and a nice memento.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
My aunt unexpectedly passed away just before Christmas, so my parents have been going through her things, and today they gave me this.

View attachment 1204820

I don't expect I'll get much use out of it. Very rarely do I roll cigarettes with my pipe tobacco, and it's way too big to use as an everyday lighter if you're not using it as a cigarette case as well. But it's an interesting curio, and a nice memento.

My condolences.

Kilroy6644

And today this KBB Monterey came in the mail. There's a little bit of cleanup to do, but then it should be good to go. Except the stem falls out. Any thoughts on how to tighten that up? There's no cracks or obvious defects in the shank that would cause it, unless it dried up and shrunk. Or the tenon shrunk.

IMG_20210106_120200790.jpg

Kilroy6644

Ok, I put the tea kettle on and let the steam hit the mortise for a bit, so it's tightened its grip enough that I can smoke the pipe. Hopefully smoking will tighten it some more. Do you think this fix will last, or will I have to do this frequently?

Kilroy6644

Thinking about it, I wonder if the cold weather didn't play a factor too. Like putting the pipe in a freezer to loosen a stuck stem. I'll find out when I get out of work. It's sitting in my truck now.

Thinking about it, I wonder if the cold weather didn't play a factor too. Like putting the pipe in a freezer to loosen a stuck stem. I'll find out when I get out of work. It's sitting in my truck now.
Rubbing beeswax on the shank and then smoking it, or the steam from a kettle to warm the wax after application.

Id try smoking it first to see if it helps. Whole Foods and other “natural” stores sell it (beeswax).

Looks like chef replied while I was posting this

Kilroy6644

I checked it a while ago, and the stem was looser than I'd like, but still secure enough to smoke. When I first opened the package, the stem would just fall off. At least now I can smoke without worrying about catching the bowl in my lap.

Except the stem falls out. Any thoughts on how to tighten that up?

I thought about this video after reading your post about your loose pipe stem dilemma. This attached link is from Morgan Pipes where he discusses his Briar Cigar. So, you say, what does that have to do with the loose stem on my pipe?

Chris discusses throughout the whole video climate changes and the resultant effects on briar. He mentions several methods in his video beginning at about the 9:00 minute mark on how to adjust for a loose tenon/pipe stem. The video link below may or may not alleviate your issue. It cannot hurt to listen to his fix and give it a go if you are so inclined.

By the way, cyanoacrylate adhesive is another name for the infamous “Superglue.” Of course, use sparingly and wait to dry before inserting pipe stem tenon into mortise.

He also recommends in this video to heat the stem tenon with some kind of torch and smashing down the tenon end on a hard surface to create a type of bump on the end.

Try what ever method suits you. Either method is worth a go...

That's because at 4:30, the chef was having his customary pre-rush smoke. It's a ritual, often involving the Chef's Prayer: Lord, please keep me from killing a server or food runner tonight. And, if it be your will, please allow the prep to be adequate for the night. Amen!
It's a new kitchen. All the other chef's are hitting their Juul's and drinking their kratom mud.
I was doing a shot of cold brew concentrate and stuffing a huge and strong snus in my lip. And the chef's prayer is accurate.

Kilroy6644

So far it seems to be holding up well. It was a bit loose when I got out of work, but within a minute or so of lighting up, it had tightened noticeably. I think it was just the combination of being dry for so long and being cold. On a side note, I have never felt a pipe so silky smooth as this one.

More goodies! Just one, really. Another Chinese lighter, Unique/Old Boy style.

IMG_20210106_214902778.jpg

IMG_20210106_214909776.jpg

IMG_20210106_214922381.jpg

Here it is with my other lighter of this type, a no-name I got on eBay.

IMG_20210106_214952254.jpg

IMG_20210106_214943931.jpg

The new one has one distinct advantage over the old one: the fuel cap has a much longer threaded portion. The threads on the old one are so short that it's very difficult to get the cap started. It either doesn't grip at all, or it cross-threads. The new one doesn't have that problem. Another possible advantage (we'll know after I've used it) is that the top and bottom plates can be removed, allowing for easy changing of the wick. We'll see how well the seals hold up. And the fuel cap has storage for a spare flint, which is nice.

Top Bottom