What's new

Happy National Broderick Crawford Day

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
He played a cop on ‘Highway Patrol’.
hphp.jpeg

Broderick was a favorite of mine, that voice of his was unique. I liked his ruff/gruff personna. And those days, kids wanted to be a patrolman. The guy reminded me of the man that had a gas station on the edge of town back home. Seemed to usually have a cigar going, kept a flask of booze and cans of beer in the pop cooler. Many a kid learned the fine art of colorful language at his place. Frequented by the retired local farmers and old duffers, many a tall tale was shared in that place. Let's just say the BS could get deep in there. His building had enough seating for about ten, heated by an oil burner stove, and he sold gas, oil, cold pop, candy, peanuts, gum, cigars, cigarettes, and chew. During nice weather the bench outside would fill up as the locals watched traffic on the highway and the trains fly through town a mere block away. Some of the best memories of my youth were of Mr. Kuhn and what went on at his gas station. Still brings smiles and chuckles to me.

He wore a fedora like nobody's business.

I've gotten to see some of the old HIghway Patrol episodes on MeTV, and they are fun. But I caught Crawford recently as a cop in Black Angel, a 1946 noir done before he played the Huey Long-like character in All the King's Men. It was the most restrained performance I'd ever seen him give.

Top Bottom