What's new

Happy July 4th, 1.5 yrs later first real bbs

Hey guys first just want to say happy July 4th to the Americans and brits ( ;)). Apropos to July 4th Munchkins by my side, today’s reading is Paine’s Rights of Man and Common Sense.

But in fact that is not the topic of this thread. I realized this morning - likely something like a year or so after discovering this forum I may have discovered my first true bbs ( e.g. fingernails against the grain and - nothing - ).

There was a thread here somewhere on steep v shallow and someone mentioned audio was .. not audio feedback and in fact tugging. I’ve always used audio as feedback for angle and have probably been pushing pressure more than I should have.

This time - with holiday time on my hands - I rode the cap literally ( black beauty @ 4, personna platinum blades, Taylor’s of bond st cream ( which I do like )), aimed for audio and angled back from there for silence under the experiment “ I wonder if this will shave or will just be rubbing a cap on my face?”

3 passes with no pressure, I’ve never really had good luck under the chin, but with some light strokes, while silent, you can feel the strokes become smoother and smoother.

I have probably discovered the obvious but feels a bit Independence Day from carts or something ;)

Avi

Last edited:
Congratulations on finally finding it! Sometimes the chase ends in blood for those that try too soon. But those that are patient and consistent find it almost by magic. Now the game is to see how often you can re-create that experience. Then see if it transfers to other razors. Good riddance to carts, though I never used them myself!

Lemme get this right @Avi

What you're saying is that you first BBS happened by holding the razor ultra-shallow, riding the cap in a way that gave no audio feedback? Is that what you are saying?

BTW - congrats! 😀

Reactions: Avi
Lemme get this right @Avi

What you're saying is that you first BBS happened by holding the razor ultra-shallow, riding the cap in a way that gave no audio feedback? Is that what you are saying?

BTW - congrats! 😀

Yes indeed, I think you are part of the steep club no, though with aggressive razors? So this is certainly in contrast with that approach. The two caveats are (1) instead of audio one can use friction to have a sense of making sure one is not rubbing a cap against the face (2) as (1) involves a bit of testing I am definitely super light touch..

seemed to work on day two as well! I wonder if mild razors naturally lend themselves to shallow?

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
No, I am ultra-shallow shaver with any/every razor. Steep never worked for me, but @never-stop-learning David is the SASA Ambassador.

Thank you, Dave, but I must give credit to my SASA Mentors. @Raven Koenes started the SASA Club (link below) back in 2017. In addition to Rave, @Hannah's Dad @Cal and @Chan Eil Whiskers got me on the steep path to wonderful shaves. Now, I even shave steep with my Gillette Techs. :cool:

Top Bottom