What's new

Happy Canada day!

G

gone down south

From the ubiquitous Wikipedia:

You guys were still under some form of British rule until 1982?!

Canada is still under the dominion of the Queen, so although the British government no longer has a say in our internal affairs we're technically still under British rule.

Canada is still under the dominion of the Queen, so although the British government no longer has a say in our internal affairs we're technically still under British rule.

That's why Ol' Elizabeth is still on the $20.

I'm done with this British rule! It's time we break away! Let us begin the Canadian Shave Party! Let us dump GFT, T&H and Taylor's into the lakes and rivers...but, then again...that seems like a waste. How about we just put J.M. Fraser's Original and Booster's Polar Ice A/S into our rotation today?

I'm done with this British rule! It's time we break away! Let us begin the Canadian Shave Party! Let us dump GFT, T&H and Taylor's into the lakes and rivers...but, then again...that seems like a waste. How about we just put J.M. Fraser's Original and Booster's Polar Ice A/S into our rotation today?
Way ahead of you on that one. Made in Canada NEW today, with some Boosters Jickey AS. Sadly I don't have any JM Frasers yet, although I plan to fix that before next year!

Happy Canada Day to all Canadians, at home and abroad. Especially to those new Canadians celebrating Canada Day for the first time.

Ok guys:

Step #1-throw some tea into a local harbor

Step #2- Write up something,and have a guy sign it really big at the bottom, like so:
proxy.php

Step #3-Do it in the next three days so that we can all celebrate our independance on the 4th with some kickin' cross border parties!

Ok guys:

Step #2- Write up something,and have a guy sign it really big at the bottom, like so:
proxy.php

Step #3-Do it in the next three days so that we can all celebrate our independance on the 4th with some kickin' cross border parties!

Ha ha ha ha. Great idea. Here in Toronto, we have more garbage lying around than tea, though...

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok guys:

proxy.php

Ah . . . If I read this correctly we should have a North American cross border celebration from July 1 to July 4th . . . then again if we include Mexico we can go from May 5th to July 4th. . . .

You guys were still under some form of British rule until 1982?!

It wasn't a big deal. For the most part it consisted of the Queen's representative being required to give Royal Assent to any major law passed by the parliament, just like in Britain. In fact, we still have that process today but it is purely traditional, again, just like in Britain. We also continue the Tolling of the Bell ceremony, and our Crown Attorneys (prosecutors) still wear black robes and funny white wigs.

Why do you think the Queen is on so much of our money? :tongue:

And where do the French come into the equation? It seems that they invaded, and are currently occupying all of Quebec!

To make a long story short, there were many French colonists and tradesmen who settled here, similar to those who settled in New Orleans. Yes, we did have a French invasion, and yes, they were defeated, but those who didn’t return home stayed in the largely French-inhabited areas which eventually centralized.

Quebec culture is actually quite interesting because it evolved independently from France. Even the language grew in a different way. Think of it like this; put a group of average Americans on a desert island and leave them alone for 150 years, then return and interact with them. Odds are the culture and speech (slangs, metaphors, pronunciation, etc) would be quite different. Quebec French is kind of like that compared to European French. Quebec may be rooted in European French, but it really is its own unique culture at this point.

Another interesting fact you may not know about Canada; Newfoundland was its own country until 1949. They had their own money, postal system, the works. Only after 2 national referendums did they vote (by a slim 52% on the second try!) to join Canada. They fought in WWI and WWII as their own country to aid the allies.

Last edited:
Happy Canada Day fellow Canadians from here in Vancouver, BC. I hope you are enjoying it. Another great summer day here on the West Coast. :001_cool:

Top Bottom