What's new

Happy Birthday, Roy Batty

Legion

Staff member
He would have been 6 years old today.

I've seen things you people wouldn't believe... Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion...
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhäuser Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain...
Time to die.
No he wouldn't. He only had a four year life span.

RIP Roy, on the second anniversary of your death.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
Even at the time I realized that this was one of the most subtle and well-wrought SF movies of all time. I'm not a Philip K. Dick fan at all. But it's amazing how well his work has been adapted for film in the last 30-40 years.

I took my dad to see this in a big-screen theatre very shortly after it was released. Had no idea what to expect. It blew me away.

Amazing story and production. Still stands.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
The book Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is incredibly dark and pretty much devoid of optimism or hope.

The movie Blade Runner, while still dark, at least offers an ending with a glimpse of hope.

Blade Runner is my #1 favorite sci-fi film. The scene where Rick Deckard is hanging by a finger with Roy Batty lecturing him on what it is to be a slave is incredibly intense. You have to watch carefully to catch Deckard spitting at Batty as his grip fails and he begins to fall. I've convinced myself that Deckard''s act of ultimate defiance is why Batty saves him.

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
A moment of silence for Roy.

There's an amazing book about the filming, Future Noir by Paul M. Sammon. If you've seen Blade Runner and read Do Androids Dream, you must get this book.

I'll pick it up. The genre would include A Clockwork Orange, right? Blade Runner (I haven't read the book) is clearly science fiction as well, but I'd say Clockwork Orange probably is not. I mention it because for me it's up there with Blade Runner.

Top Bottom