What's new

Happy All Saints Day!

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
proxy.php

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Happy All Saints' Day! My hat still fits too, but I kind of don't get it. Sombrero for Día de Muertos?

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Yes, Guy Fawkes.
Remember, remember the Fifth of November, gunpowder, treason and plot,
Yeah, there we go. That's what I thought. He's not as big of a deal on this side of The Pond. I dare say, most Americans would say he's the V for Vendetta guy and don't know anything about the Gunpowder Plot. So riddle me this (because I really don't know): over there in Ye Merry Ole England where they actually do set off fireworks and the all the rest, is Guy Fawkes still the bad guy or has the script flipped? I feel like he's depicted more as a hero now (like in your GIF) and a mascot for the good sort of anti-government skepticism, ala the hacker group Anonymous and, of course, the "V for Vendetta" comic. And is there still an anti-Catholic angle to the festivities? Or is it mainly just license for good old fashioned pyromania?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yeah, there we go. That's what I thought. He's not as big of a deal on this side of The Pond. I dare say, most Americans would say he's the V for Vendetta guy and don't know anything about the Gunpowder Plot. So riddle me this (because I really don't know): over there in Ye Merry Ole England where they actually do set off fireworks and the all the rest, is Guy Fawkes still the bad guy or has the script flipped? I feel like he's depicted more as a hero now (like in your GIF) and a mascot for the good sort of anti-government skepticism, ala the hacker group Anonymous and, of course, the "V for Vendetta" comic. And is there still an anti-Catholic angle to the festivities? Or is it mainly just license for good old fashioned pyromania?

I can't comment on how the English view it, as I live in New Zealand.
We do Guy Fawkes here in NZ and would say the meaning while know is probably lost for most. It's more a good excuse to let off fireworks and have a bon fire. :laugh: I think if anything many would view the failure of his plan the biggest travesty. 400 plus years on and it's still remembered.

Gunpowder Treason & Plot on Prime could be worth a watch again.

Top Bottom