What's new

Happy 100th birthday, Little Lather Catcher!

I'm busting mine out this afternoon! Any chance you have the parts list with that patent? I need to find the rivet size for #22 to fix mine.

The model is one of my highest esteemed razors of all times. I seriously thought that this birthday would have had more followers than just two. Ok- four with me.
O tempora, o mores
Well- I humbly lift off my hat anyway. Great razor. Very ingenious design. Blows the pants from the 12- in my book anyway.

The model is one of my highest esteemed razors of all times. I seriously thought that this birthday would have had more followers than just two. Ok- four with me.
O tempora, o mores
Well- I humbly lift off my hat anyway. Great razor. Very ingenious design. Blows the pants from the 12- in my book anyway.

Five if you count my SOTD.

And a fine shave it was too.

$uploadfromtaptalk1395716105546.jpg

Tried my Lil' Lather Catcher out for the first time this morning. What a great shave.

I gave up cartridges a bit under a year ago, but haven't tried an SE until this morning. This was my great-grandfather's razor. My grandfather pretty much never threw anything away, so a box of razors I found in one of his sheds and brought home was what got me started.

The blade exposure on this thing is intimidating. That's why I hadn't tried it before. If you're thinking about trying one DON'T WAIT! It was a fantastic shave!

Just keep the cap riding your face and you can't go wrong, although it was a little dicey working my upper lip and around the adam's apple since it's a completely different shape than a DE. I assume that gets better with practice.

I only did a single pass this morning with C. O. Bigelow (re-labeled Proraso Green) from B&BW palmed lathered with a vintage Century badger brush. Another pass around my jaw-line would have been BBS, but I seldom go for that unless it's a weekend or special occasion. Besides, that would mean it would be that much longer until I needed to shave again. :001_smile

Here's a pic. I've been told the handle is for a 1912, but it doesn't fit the 1912 head that was also in the box from Granddaddy's shed.
$1914.jpg

+3
That's great having a 4 generation hand me down.

Thanks. I wondered if he would think it strange it was still being used all these years later. I just barely missed meeting him. He passed away a couple of days before I was born a few months over 43 years ago.

Now I have to convince my wife it's safe enough for our 16-year-old son to try. That'll be 5 generations. :w00t:
I've got him using a brush and mug with his Mach3, at least.

That's an interesting concept--having a 16 year-old start out on vintage razors using a 1914. In contrast, I can remember some threads where adults with DE experience were scared to use a Red Tip because they heard it was aggressive.

I say go for it--he'll probably have it licked within a few days.

Last edited:
agreed with starting your son early, took me till i was 27 to start shaving with DE's, a brush and soap, 28 for injectors, and now almost 29 for the SE, Im still awaiting the delivery of my two new to me GEM's, Can't wait!

the sooner he learns properly, the better off he'll be, girls love a smooth shaved face!:thumbup1:

+2!
I wished that I would have had some proper razors passed on to me.. Congratulations!
Who would have known that vintage razors would have many new followers a few years back in time?

You know, those were built with the notion of lasting forever.
It reminds me, we went to spain for our honeymoon, and ended up in the small town of Guadalupe. We went on a short hike around and saw a little bridge that was slapped on a structure from the Roman period (I think it was an aqueduct, not sure) . We thought: if you had asked the engineer who built that back then how long he thinks that structure would last he would have looked at you funny for asking such a question ...

You know, those were built with the notion of lasting forever.
It reminds me, we went to spain for our honeymoon, and ended up in the small town of Guadalupe. We went on a short hike around and saw a little bridge that was slapped on a structure from the Roman period (I think it was an aqueduct, not sure) . We thought: if you had asked the engineer who built that back then how long he thinks that structure would last he would have looked at you funny for asking such a question ...

Well put!
Then again- when it comes to razors- I think that the degeneration really kicks in by the time when all (well many) would razors accept the Gillette modern blades by the late 30´s- early 40´s. .

By then- some companies saw their chances to compete with cheaper razors manufactured at a lower cost. Cheaper components if you will. That all changed when Gillette managed to do the excellent turn of making the blades expensive compared to the now cheap razors.

"The blade exposure on this thing is intimidating. That's why I hadn't tried it before. If you're thinking about trying one DON'T WAIT! It was a fantastic shave!

Just keep the cap riding your face and you can't go wrong, although it was a little dicey working my upper lip and around the adam's apple since it's a completely different shape than a DE. I assume that gets better with practice.

I only did a single pass this morning with C. O. Bigelow (re-labeled Proraso Green) from B&BW palmed lathered with a vintage Century badger brush. Another pass around my jaw-line would have been BBS, but I seldom go for that unless it's a weekend or special occasion. Besides, that would mean it would be that much longer until I needed to shave again."

- My first shave with an SE, I thought the blade exposure would be better suited for peeling vegetables. Luckily I found it was a great saver.

- It does get better with practice, you may forget all about DE's

- It's OK for a single pass, but the real SE magic happens with the "against the grain" pass. Thats when you can see what a SE can really do.

Top Bottom