What's new

Happily, I survived the September GRUME, ...... but now ? -- a Mistura question.

Okay Gents ..... I got through the September GRUME unscathed, with no shaving related purchases at all. Hooray !
But now, I have a strong urge (LOL !) to buy a new brush, and I'm seriously considering a Semogue SOC Mistura
badger/boar blend. Taj resin or cherrywood handle ? All my current badgers and synthetics are resin handles, so
I am thinking that cherrywood would be a nice change of pace. But how does the cherrywood hold up to repeated
"getting wet and full of lather" with every shave ? And does the cherrywood require any special "maintenance ?"
Any and all opinions are welcome. Thanks Gents !

417011C8-0DBB-4E6C-A6F9-C8F65CEB8C11.jpeg
Butterscotch?

linty1

My wallet cries.
I shared your concerns about the wood handles, I have one of each, resin and wood, and the wood has help up so far after.. maybe a year? So far so good.

Yes, that cherry is gorgeous. I have a few wood handled brushes and I haven't had any trouble with them. I also didn't have any trouble getting a butterscotch Mistura from the Portuguese factory, but I live in Canada, not the US. I like the heft of the resin Handle and am considering getting the Taj resin in boar.

The Butterscotch is a beauty, but not readily available here in the USA. I don't want the problems dealing with a shipment direct from the Portugal factory. Now ..... is that the cherrywood in the middle ? If so, I think I just made my decision. Pretty !
Yes it’s a cherry 2 Band Finest but the grain is by chance and I got lucky. Maybe you can get a pic of available brushes from your designated vendor to pick a nice one.

I do think the Taj handle is nice, but I really enjoy the warmth and feel of the wood handles.

I have a cherry wood SOC Mistura, a cherry wood SOC Badger, an oak wood Semogue 1250 and an ash wood Omega 11137. I really like them all quite a lot. The wood is finished with several coats of lacquer so the handles will shed water. Of course, you don't want to soak the handles in water. Just wipe them dry with a towel when you are done shaving and there's no issue. Every now and then, you can apply a coat of a wood finish. I use a non-toxic finish made for cutting boards, It contains only mineral oil + beeswax.

Thanks Gents for the replies ..... I just ordered the SOC Mistura Cherrywood from West Coast Shaving.
Threw in a tube of Cella cream to qualify for free shipping.
Boy oh boy ! ..... I love our fantastic traditional shaving hobby !

Congratulations and GREAT CHOICE!! :a29:

Absolutely loving it ! Wonderful lathers with both soaps and creams !
Then congratulations, my friend! And thank you for enabling me. You, along with many others have enjoyed the SOC Mistura so much that I have now joined your ranks. Yes, I now have one. It will be a few days before I'm able to use it, but there is a butterscotch SOC Mistura whisking its way to my den.

Top Bottom