What's new

Hanging strop in bathroom?

Is it ok to hang your strop in the bathroom? I shave in the bathroom but am wondering what affect the moisture from taking showers will have on a strop if hanging in there.

Mine hangs in the bathroom. It has for nearly a year and I haven't noticed any issues.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

I mean no disrespect, but is this really true?
Moisture is not the best for it. The continued humidity and then drying will shorten its life.

Leather has been used for many things for thousands of years, not always in the most dry conditions. It seems to me that, with proper general care and periodic conditioning, (neatsfoot oil, oil from your hands, leftover lather, etc.) hanging in a modern bathroom would be fine.

I live in dry Colorado so YMMV, but I've been keeping the daily strop in the bathroom for over 5 years. The present one has been in daily use for almost three years. I actually think that in my dry climate the moisture of the bathroom is good for the leather.

Last edited:
Depends on the leather. In a general sense, nothing will 'happen' to the leather, but it may cup or roll or twist or whathaveyou. Yes - it can happen, the question is - will it happen? Dunno.. depends on the hide.
My boots are leather and they just spent 4 days in snow... they're fine. I don't neccessarily want to strop on them but you get my point.... leather is durable.
But a strop should be flat and humidity can affect that sometimes.
Latigo and bridle are so stuffed with waxes and oils that they probably won't notice humidity, even in a steam room. But drier hides might. I've seen cheap cowhide cuts swell up at the edges which could be severely problematic IMO.
In some scenarios, the regular dose of humidity is helpful actually, helping to prevent cupping or splitting issues. Once in a while I see a piece of leather that won't sit still in humidity.
I've had a strop in the bathroom for a long time, no issues. I would never say that doing so is ok for every strop, all the time, not matter what.

I mean no disrespect, but is this really true?

Leather has been used for many things for thousands of years, not always in the most dry conditions. It seems to me that, with proper general care and periodic conditioning, (neatsfoot oil, oil from your hands, leftover lather, etc.) hanging in a modern bathroom would be fine.

This is my opinion, I notice that the fan in the bathroom and the walls over time develop a moist dust film that require periodic cleaning. I don't know about you but I don't want this on my strop. Dust without the moisture simply wipes away like everywhere else in the house but the added moisture that sticks is something I will avoid.
If you are stropping daily you are wiping this away each time so it is not accumulating but it is still getting the moisture.
Perhaps an arid climate will not effect it much but the common thought is to avoid it.
To each his own

My strop cost somewhere between 60-85 dollars. Would i last 10% longer if I hung it somewhere other than my bathroom? Maybe. Maybe it'll only last 5 years insead of 6. But the convenience is worth it.

No hanging strop in the bathroom for me....not worried about the leather, more concerned about what the wife would have to say about it.....lol.

I've had guests at the house ask to use the bathroom. I always wonder what they think when they see the strops hanging there.:001_tongu

I've had guests at the house ask to use the bathroom. I always wonder what they think when they see the strops hanging there.:001_tongu

This is another good reason.
I know that if I left stuff like that in the bathroom (razor in stand/brush/strop) inevitably people will be touching it out of curiosity . Something I would just rather not have.

I have hung mine in the bathroom for my whole life. In high and low humidity states. Zero issues. Strops cup and roll more when they get dry in my experience. When I store the ones I am not using outside the bathroom I now wrap them in butchers paper or wax paper to protect them from light and retard moisture loss. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Mine hangs in a walk-in closet only because there is a wire shelf that provides the perfect height to hang it. I've hung strops in the bathroom with no ill effects though. If it is properly conditioned, moisture should not affect it.

Top Bottom