What's new

Handwriting improvement.goal, not the game!

Improving my dismal penmanship is my post-thesis goal for the year, or at least one of them.

I have a really hard time writing. I have nerve damage in my hands (thanks, Uncle Sam!) and a reconstructed pinky from a bad day playing basketball. Writing with a fountain pen is already making things better since I use less pressure. Any recommended references or sites for southpaw penmanship? I've always just written with my hand resting on my work, something that obviously doesn't work with a fountain. I've been trying under writing and over writing, and under seems to get better results for me, FWIW.

Thanks for that link. I am a lefty, I don't use fountain pens, but there are many good tips there to help improve my chicken scratch.

I'd forgotten about that thread - and I am subscribed to it!

Thanks for the reminder - just surfed through the thread again. Today I've played with paper a bit. Much better.

So, just out of curiosity..what do you feel like you're having issues with. Maybe you should post a writing sample and let us offer some tips. I mean, I'm not expert, by any stretch of the imagination, but I do feel that I've made pretty good strides with my writing quality. Remember, most of us have been exactly where you are, right now.

Here goes - hope you have an empty stomach! :)

This is on an Ecco notebook with my cheap fountain pen and a Waterman ink cartridge. As you can see, the more I write, the more cramped my writing gets. This is WAY better with a fountain pen than with a ballpoint or rollerball. I have pretty bad trigger finger syndrome with my left pinky, making my hand feel awkward. Much of this is practice as I typed for a living for many years before teaching full time.

I am trying to under-write, which is what I am doing in this sample. I used to just drag the blade of my hand across my writing. Under-writing seems to be easier too, as I am cramping less writing that way than when I try to over-write.

Thoughts?

Are you more comfortable over writing? I know that I am, and that's how I write. I just have to slow down considerably and use inks that dry in a reasonable amount of time, and papers that allow that to happen. Now, I will underwrite when using dip pens and other calligraphy type nibs, because one doesn't write calligraphy, you draw the lines.

All in all, I've seen worse than yours....my own wife's handwriting is pretty bad, LOL. If you've been an overwriter for all your life, changing that might be difficult. I personally would have difficulty "writing" that way. I mean, I suppose it's not impossible, but if you don't have to change that aspect of your writing...then don't. I mean, the ultimate goal is to find a way to write that is comfortable and yields legible and if possible, lovely or at least nicer handwriting, right?

All that being said, if you're feeling better with under writing, then I'd consider one of the courses that can be found online, like iampeth. I'd pick up a few lined practice pads and waste some paper. When I say lined, I mean the pads that have horizontal lines and the slanted vertical lines that will help you with your slant. Remember that it will be slooooooow going at first, and concentrate on forming each and every letter and it's trailer (the line that connects it to the next letter) before moving on to the next letter.

Start with the alphabet and then move on to words....do capitals and lowercase. Also, buying a journal and writing everyday will document your progress too. Concentrate on trying to write your very best in your journal, and in time...it will just....stick.

Good luck, and post samples of your work, we like pictures....well, I do anyway, LMAO

All that being said, if you're feeling better with under writing, then I'd consider one of the courses that can be found online, like iampeth. I'd pick up a few lined practice pads and waste some paper. When I say lined, I mean the pads that have horizontal lines and the slanted vertical lines that will help you with your slant. Remember that it will be slooooooow going at first, and concentrate on forming each and every letter and it's trailer (the line that connects it to the next letter) before moving on to the next letter.

Start with the alphabet and then move on to words....do capitals and lowercase. Also, buying a journal and writing everyday will document your progress too. Concentrate on trying to write your very best in your journal, and in time...it will just....stick.

Good luck, and post samples of your work, we like pictures....well, I do anyway, LMAO

Thanks - I will have a look at iampeth. I am actually trying over and under writing to see which works better. More research is warranted.

When I went through this I went with Palmer method. Palmermethod.com. I'm not a lefty, but a good portion of my inlaws are, watching them write is painfull often times only beat out by trying to read it! Try the obliques and straight lines exercizes in Palmer method. Also pick out a few practice sentences. I like "A minimum of fifty" since it uses ascenders and desenders, requires you to actually read what you write as you write it and fairly short.

Also, don't be afraid to borrow a certain letter style from another font, I wrote my majescule "I" the same way I learned in 3rd grade, and itlooked just the same as it did when I learned it! I found one I liked, was quick and easy to incorporate as well as perfectly legible.

-Xander

Desert, your sample is perfectly readable and light years better than my scrawl. When I take the time I can do a passable job.
I just have one quibble with your sample in that I call it printing rather than writing but then again, anyone who criticizes it is plain crazy.
It has its' own style and beauty.

Top Bottom