What's new

Handwashing Ties?

Anyone had luck handwashing ties? Internet search seems to turn up mixed reviews with some saying they do it others saying don't, but no one saying they have and ruined one.

Dry cleaning is an option I suppose, but would rather not if handwashing will yield good results.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Best stick with dry cleaning fluid Carbon Tetrachloride or putting starch on an oily spot over night and brushing away in the morning.

Yikes! Don't monkey with silk and washing...

I've had great luck with dry cleaners, frustrating as the price can be.

Yikes! Don't monkey with silk and washing...

I've had great luck with dry cleaners, frustrating as the price can be.
+1 Dry cleaners really are the best equipped people for the job of cleaning a silk tie. To me, the price is worth it.

If it's a silk tie, you absolutely, positively, without question should take it to the dry cleaners rather than washing it. Don't worry about the cost - if you wash it, you'll need to buy a new tie.

I would only go with the Drycleaners. I tried washing by hand once and destroyed a nice tie.

But if the spot is far enough down, you can turn it into a sweater vest tie and not have to worry about washing it at all. :001_tongu

Thanks all.

No obvious spots or anything but it's a thirft store new to me special so I'd like to clean it before wearing.

And all I could find via google were people stating they did it all the time and those who never seemed to have done it saying ZOMG NOS!!!, very little I did it and screwed it up kind of responses :lol:

I would say dry clean only, and only with a dry cleaner that says they know how to do it. Even if cleaned, the pressing can mess up the tie. Once you have to have a tie cleaned, you stand a good chance of the tie never being the same.

That's a good point. Some dry cleaners are much better at cleaning ties than others. I've heard of this place, but have never used them:

http://tiecrafters.com/cleaning.html

I have used TieCrafters for any number of the services they perform. For cleaning ties they do as good a job as anyone, and probably generally a better job. I do not think they would ever ruin a tie.

I have not have perfect luck with having ties cleaned, though. They do not always come out completely clean and they always seem to be duller. Sometimes though they come out very clean and only slightly duller.

I have not researched handwashing ties. I am not as negative on giving it a try as some folks are. I would not count on the tie coming out of it okay though!

Tie crafters is a good company. Not cheap but they do a great job. I had a tie that was too wide narrowed there. I will probably send a bunch of vintage ties I have there to be cleaned in the new year.

I would say dry clean only, and only with a dry cleaner that says they know how to do it. Even if cleaned, the pressing can mess up the tie. Once you have to have a tie cleaned, you stand a good chance of the tie never being the same.

+1 I've never found a dry cleaner who could "clean" a silk tie without ruining it. After several learning trials, when I get a noticeable stain on a tie now, I just throw it away, much as I hate to. There is no alternative.

Top Bottom