What's new

Handles?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
An interesting thread. I prefer things as they were from the factory and consider a 'razor' to be comprised of both the original head and the handle. To me if you replace the handle on say, a Gibbs adjustable, for a longer heavier one, then it is no longer a Gibbs adjustable. Surely there are enough different razors available without having to modify them. I am always very disappointed to find an old razor without the original handle, and as I see it others will buy my old razors themselves someday, at least I hope so. Likewise if you paint a Fatboy so the handle is green, the head is orange, and the numbers are blue, then for me at least, it ceases to be a Fatboy. Plenty like them that way though so as usual YMMV 👍

View attachment 923087
I completely agree with @dfoulk about a razor's balance and feel. It's amazing how much just changing a handle can completely change a razor's behavior. The handle on your Merkur 23c is 98mm x 11mm for reference. My current rotation does not include any of the handles that came with the razor heads and I didn't bother ordering a matching Karve or Charcoal Goods handle. The first 5 (l-r) are custom tibam_handles in 90mmx26mm, 85mmx20mm, 80mmx18mm, 75mmx18mm, and 70mmx14mm. All in 6Al4V titanium, M5 threaded, and only $50. He's super accommodating, will make just about whatever you want, and also offers C360 brass. The only catch is time, since they can take 4-8 weeks to arrive from Russia due to their postal system. Handles 6 and 7 are Windrose K2 handles out of England, 84mmx15mm, 303 stainless, and about $40. The styles currently available are about $40-$80, but some have really narrow necks. Something to keep in mind. Handles 8 and 9 are the Weber Classic 99mmx13mm and Bulldog 79mmx13mm, both in 316L stainless, both readily available, and only $30. The last is the Ikon Tuckaway, also in 316L stainless, also readily available, and only $25. Places like Maggard's, WCS, and Razorock have decent, inexpensive handles as well.

If for no other reason than why not, try experimenting with the exact opposite of your current handle. Something shorter, wider, and possibly heavier.
would you be able to your provide contact for the custom handles?

Top Bottom