What's new

Handles?

For me. at the moment, I'm enjoying using heavier brass handled razors like the EJ Bulbous and Chatsworth DE razors (112g-116g). Where the total razor weight can be focused on the skin by holding the handle with forefinger and thumb, past the balance point, towards the end of the handle. Thereby letting, the weight of the razor, where it makes contact with the skin do the work in steering it through the lather and stubble.

Switching from lighter to these heavier handled razors has been an epiphany for me. I now find I can stop using the more aggressive razor heads and can get decent shaves from milder razor heads such as the DE89/R89, Merkur 25C.Yaqi Mellon and Flipside without the invariable nicks and weepers associated with using the more aggressive heads. Choice of razor blade still plays a part, but the heavier razors do create more of a sense 'authority' by their presence when shaving, making you 'drive' and steer more carefully as you would if driving a Rolls Royce !

Does anyone dislike the Tibam handles made from titanium? I may purchase a few but wasn't sure I'd like the lighter weight compared to the stainless steel options I already have. Does titanium have as much grip or is it slippery... or is it dependent on the knurling.
TIA!

Stainless handles are very popular here on B&B and have good weight. If you decide to use a stainless handle, be careful how you use it with brass or threads in other metals. You don’t want to store a stainless handle with a brass threaded cap, use for shaving is fine, just remove after the shave.

With softer metals like brass, aluminum etc, take care when putting those handles on your caps as to not ruin your threads.

Does anyone dislike the Tibam handles made from titanium? I may purchase a few but wasn't sure I'd like the lighter weight compared to the stainless steel options I already have. Does titanium have as much grip or is it slippery... or is it dependent on the knurling.
TIA!
I have one with vertical ridges, kind of like a Blackbird handle. No knurling, but it's very secure and non slip. I also just ordered another one, reminds me of a Wade and Butcher or Durham DE handle. I like the Ti handles because to be honest, stainless steel razors are cool as heck to me, but they can be too heavy also. Ti handles are a good way to lighten the razor

i have one russian titanium handle and love it. i paired it with a colonial de head and its a great shaver.but it is all subjective.john

Interesting thread!

For me it is all about balance! I like both heavy (daily driver is a SS Wolfman WR1/WRH2 handle) and light (my ‘travel’ razor is a very light Lord L6) razors, so long as they are well balanced in my hand! :thumbup: :thumbup:

Mostly adds another layer to the hobby. Some handles are pretty nice too! Plus they can transform a razor’s performance.

I've not dialed in any single handle...yet! I like my Gillette double-ring (~48g), 1940s Tech (~61g) as well as Gibbs (~73g) & Merkur w/ Simplex handle (76g). Weights, handle length & diameter are all over the map. They all work for me, can't say for certain one combo is "better" as far as feel goes.

61g ATT Atlas
50g Charcoal Goods
30g Gillette Heritage
73g Game Changer HD
88g Timeless H7 Barber pole
20g ATT bamboo
79g iKon OSS 95mm
95g Blackbird
I am down to using three handles: Blackbird with the Blackbird (they work well together), and the ATT aluminum bamboo and Charcoal Goods. I don't use the Timeless or ATT Atlas anymore - too heavy.

Four heads: Timeless SS + Ti .95MM SB, GC .84-P SB, ATT H1 SB, and Blackbird SB.

Total weight:

103g stock GC .84-P SB + HD handle
078g GC + Charcoal Goods
051g GC + bamboo

Pics - Game Changer head with 1) 20g ATT aluminum bamboo handle, and 2) 50g Charcoal Goods handle.

proxy.php

proxy.php

But Ti is expensive and hard to work with, and since most people prefer SS, there is a limited market. This has led to some Ti handle makers going out of business (eg, Jurgen Hempel, Triad?, and Stork).

I didn't know Stork had gone out of business. That's a shame--I have two Stork handles and they are fantastic!

WARNING ON MIXING STAINLESS AND ALUMINUM: This can cause galvanic corrosion. It's fine to use them together if you are taking them apart and drying after a shave, but stored for long times together in humidity can cause this and you will never get the pieces apart again.

Stork is still around (I've bought 3 handles from them in the last couple months). They just seem to be doing work by request/custom work these days; not much "in-stock" items. They also have been spending time on brush handles, so diversifying. Lead time on request might turn off some potential customers--upwards of 2+ months before many requests can be machined, polished and shipped.

...Aside from having superior metals and weight and possibly a different grip, is there really any advantage to having a different handle?...
While exploring different products I wanted to achieve a consistent excellency of every shave. To do that, I needed some variables under control and decided that the handle is easy to be kept as a constant throughout. I use 3-piece razors that, lucky me, share the same threads, allowing me to use one handle only. I use a Bulldog (iKon).
I do shave with entirely new razors from time to time, and have large weight/length differences, but keep other factors constant (like using the same brush, cream/soap for a consistent lather, blade). Just for fun and to satisfy my curiosity.
Like others noted, the razor handle is a huge factor in the complicated equation of shaving. It adds weight/length/grip/balance into a new shave experience. If you expect consistency in shaving results, you need control. In a nutshell.
I enjoy this hobby. The cheapest and most rewarding hobby I have, by the way.

For me I need a fat handle.
Easier to grip.
The tendon on my right thumb is shot to hell and larger handles work better for me.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
WARNING ON MIXING STAINLESS AND ALUMINUM: This can cause galvanic corrosion. It's fine to use them together if you are taking them apart and drying after a shave, but stored for long times together in humidity can cause this and you will never get the pieces apart again.

Good to know, as I didn't know this, which makes me wonder about razors like the RazoRock SLOC 2.0.

Head: Full Milled 6066 Aluminum Billet, Glass blasted and Silver Anodized
Handle: Full Milled 316L (Marine Grade) Stainless Steel Rod, Machine Polished

Perhaps the top cap threads are plated with something?

I personally prefer stainless handles because I like the added weight. It really does come down to preference though as 2 of my brothers prefer aluminum handles.

Wow ! Ye Olde Threadus Resurrectus . . .

Since I originally posted this thread, I have amassed a number of DE Razors. I have many Gillette TTO razors, a Karve (D), a Schick injector, a Rockwell 6S, and a Mongoose SE. I received a handle from the member that I got the Mongoose from but ended up buying a Maggard MR18 (possibly) (it could be a MR12). I really like the stainless steel handle to use with my Mongoose head. It has become my favorite razor. I almost never use my Merkur anymore (nor many of my DE razors for that matter). I really haven't given much more thought on the matter of having a fatter or thinner handle. I tried my MR18 with my 6S and didn't really care too much for it. I also tried it with my Merkur and didn't feel that it really mattered with a different handle either.

I'm quite happy now and get amazing shaves with my SE Mongoose . . .
Or I absolutely massacre myself with it . . .
It depends on the day really . . .

Top Bottom