What's new

Handle suggestions for the Colonial General?

I've been researching SE AC razors lately, and it feels like I'm zeroing in on the current General model. They don't offer it with a handle at the moment, though their DE razor's handle, the Silversmith, will work. But I'm not sure I like that one aesthetically as much as a more traditional style.

Not having used a SE yet, I don't know if there's a certain length I prefer. I'm not that picky on DE handles, but 3" - 3.25" (75mm - 82mm) is probably my sweet spot. I do want the finish to match up well--something that looks like a natural pairing. Are any of the Razorock, Maggard, Ikon, etc. options a particularly good match?

If anyone knows of any upcoming handle (or razor, for that matter) releases from Colonial, please let me know.

Thanks!

I use my General head with an ATT Atlas handle and find this combo works very well, in terms of both looks and balance. The finish isn't identical, but the difference seems to work, if that makes sense.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I've been researching SE AC razors lately, and it feels like I'm zeroing in on the current General model. They don't offer it with a handle at the moment, though their DE razor's handle, the Silversmith, will work. But I'm not sure I like that one aesthetically as much as a more traditional style.

Not having used a SE yet, I don't know if there's a certain length I prefer. I'm not that picky on DE handles, but 3" - 3.25" (75mm - 82mm) is probably my sweet spot. I do want the finish to match up well--something that looks like a natural pairing. Are any of the Razorock, Maggard, Ikon, etc. options a particularly good match?

If anyone knows of any upcoming handle (or razor, for that matter) releases from Colonial, please let me know.

Thanks!

I like the Timeless TRH6 Ti Handle on the General.
shave 20200913.jpg

I recently saw one paired with an Ikon handle that looked nice due to the similar color and finish, but the perspective of the picture wasn't clear, so I'm not sure whether the length suited it. Due to the slimness and width of the v2 head, I think it looks nicer with a 90-95mm handle.

I recently saw one paired with an Ikon handle that looked nice due to the similar color and finish, but the perspective of the picture wasn't clear, so I'm not sure whether the length suited it. Due to the slimness and width of the v2 head, I think it looks nicer with a 90-95mm handle.
I agree with this. RR Bulldog handle will go nicely with it, as it has the same glossy, polished finish and fantastic grip, thanks to really great knurling. See the Bulldog handle below. It's very similar to AS-D2 handle, but glossier and slightly ticker. Grip is fantastic.

1612019483926.png

Yes... I have 75+ razors (maybe a hundred, as I did not count) -- modern and traditional. I also have every soap that anyone would ever think of using -- together with a 3+ century supply of blades, modern and ancient.

So, after 65+ years of wet shaving, I am a bona fide, nut-case shaving collector. but, bottom-line, I still shave the same way my Dad (RIP) and my Grandpas (RIP) did -- although, I am not nearly as good with a straight razor.

But... Cumm-ooon, Maaan... Some of these postings about this handle or that handle are a bit obsessive-compulsive.

Even a near 80-year old lawyer (like moi) -- who still litigates intellectual property disputes nationally -- has better things to do with the life to which we have been entrusted.

But... Cumm-ooon, Maaan... Some of these postings about this handle or that handle are a bit obsessive-compulsive.

Wait, are we not on Badger & Blade, where the whole point is to get all OCD about razor minutiae!?

For me, one of the primary pleasures of the hobby is the aesthetics of these small, functional metal objects—their sculptural qualities. And especially since the Colonial General head is not offered with a handle, finding a good match is important to me—it could easily make the difference between a razor that I eagerly look forward to using, or one that leaves me indifferent.

It’s comparable to finding the right strap to pair with an attractive watch, or selecting an interesting frame that best highlights a beautiful painting.

I guess the industrial artistry isn’t everyone’s interest, and that’s ok. There are certainly other aspects of this hobby that are extremely important to some but of little concern to me.

But c’mon man: the curvaceous and slightly threatening elegance of a fine razor head like the General absolutely merits a carefully chosen handle to complete its purpose: Making me happy as it depilates my face!

Last edited:
Top Bottom