What's new

Handle Recommendation?

I have just the head of a thin-cap Old Type. It's one of my favorites and I'm using it on a ball-end Tech handle, but that handle feels a bit too spindly and light. I'm looking for a handle that weighs about 45 grams with a length of 3.25" or so. What can you recommend?

TIA :)

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
In general (including on my Old Type), I've been using the titanium Timeless TRH6 Ti, RazoRock Halo Ti or TiBam handles. Also the stainless Maggard MR11 handle.

Do you want something vintage? In that case, how about a Gillette Tech fat handle? The entire razor weights about 50 grams but the handle is hollow so you could add tungsten putty to get the weight and balance right.

TFAT2.jpg

The problem with most modern handles is they are solid stainless steel. This one is the Razorock HD handle. It is the right length, but weighs 70 grams. I like it, but if you have tools, you could drill out the handle to get the weight down.
HD-HAND-1.jpg

Do you want something vintage? In that case, how about a Gillette Tech fat handle? The entire razor weights about 50 grams but the handle is hollow so you could add tungsten putty to get the weight and balance right.

View attachment 1048892

The problem with most modern handles is they are solid stainless steel. This one is the Razorock HD handle. It is the right length, but weighs 70 grams. I like it, but if you have tools, you could drill out the handle to get the weight down.
View attachment 1048893

Excellent point! - I have been looking for a handle for my Goodwill head and got exactly the Razorock HD handle. It is gorgeous and exactly the right length for me also. It really resembles the Merkur HD design which I adore ... however... it is just too darn heavy. I am now using my Hybrid Tech fat handle on the Goodwill and it is perfect!

I don’t know why everything these days is about weight - I for one really prefer razors that weigh around 70-75 grams in total.

Don't particularly care for long or heavy handles. The handle pictured is a RazoRock Bamboo which had one 'node' cut off the bottom and cleaned up with sandpaper. Measure 3" and weighs 44g. Worked so well I made another.

G3_SLOC.JPG

My ATT Atlas 3" handle weighs 61g. GC HD is 73g. Charcoal goods hammered handle stainless is really nice and comes in at 50g according to the website listing. Has a great 1911 golf ball texturing to it.

Last edited:
Thanks, all.

I'm really looking for a production handle rather than DIY - no tools, no time, no patience, no skills - and modern or vintage doesn't really matter to me. However, I'm keeping the ADs in check, so I want to find something for which I can trade. If that's a cheap razor with the handle characteristics I want, that would be ideal. If someone has an extra handle with my desired specs, I certainly have software to give!

I do have a Fat Handle Tech, but no tungsten putty. (1) I don't really want to buy the putty (see above) and (2) wouldn't the putty settle in the handle, putting the additional weight in a specific location? I want a well-balanced handle, which means (to me) solid or hollow, but not hollow-and-filled.

Any other ideas for options, either handle-only or as part of a complete razor, that has a handle roughly 45 grams? I have a RazoRock handle that's 55 grams, but it's a touch too long and heavy for my liking with the Old Type head (though it works well with its original head).

Again, TIA.

[edit] After looking at the MR1, and the very helpful chart provided on the page, that handle might be the closest I can get...

I can recommend a few handles. One is an Ikon Bulldog 85mm handle. A little hard to find but they are out there if you look. Easier to find are the RazoRock HD handle and the RazoRock Barberpole handle. The HD is 85mm and the Barberpole is just a tad longer. I have all three of the above.

I have so many handles! Love the new RR UFO - very grippy but maybe a bit on the heavy side for you. The Maggards MR1 and MR11 are probably closest to what you want and they are also very nice handles. I enjoy them as well.

I have so many handles! Love the new RR UFO - very grippy but maybe a bit on the heavy side for you. The Maggards MR1 and MR11 are probably closest to what you want and they are also very nice handles. I enjoy them as well.

Yes. I forgot about the UFO handle. I really like the look of it and it's pretty beefy which I like. I just don't have one.........yet.

ATT Bamboo: 3.5", 57 g. - Used $33.60, New $42.00
Maggard MR-11: 3.11", 58 g. - $14.00
Maggard MR-15: 3.31", 58 g. - $14.00

I love the MR-11 and the other two seem to hit your sweet spot as well.

This is a great thread. Got me to weigh the handles that I do have. To recap (and add one):

61g ATT
73g GC HD
88g Timeless SS

^ all stainless steel. Ordered an ATT aluminum bamboo (21g) to see how that performs with some of my base plate cap combos. I know it's longer, but I want to see how the weight difference affects the shave.

Gillettes were built with light weight handles. Their slim and lightweight heads didn't need all the excess weight that the modern razors with heavy, clunky zamak or beefy stainless heads requitre today to balance properly. I tried my RazoRock Barber Pole handle on a Tech head & it was awkward. Believe it or not, 100 years ago, Gillette put enough thought into building their razors, that todays' "improvements" usually aren't.
A vintage, hollow Tech handle would work great on your Old Type Head.

Here's my handles.

L - R

61g ATT Atlas
30g Gillette Heritage
50g Charcoal Goods hammered
73g GC HD
88g Timeless H7 barber pole
20g ATT bamboo
79g iKon OSS
XXX 34C (same length as ATT Atlas)

The Charcoal Goods works well with the Timeless SB Ti and SS cap, the ATT R1 SB, and the GC .84mm. Haven't used the bamboo or iKon yet. Gillette Heritage is on the iKon as I'll try that next.

proxy.php

Top Bottom