What's new

Handle needs a knot install

Hey, I was hoping I could get some recommendations for getting a knot put into a handle. I've never bought an empty handle before, but I picked up this one for a 30mm from Wild West Brushworks:

20190906_235150.jpg

What vendors are good for purchasing a knot and having them install? It looks like Razor Emporium is one, but it seems like that's more for restorations? Any help would be great. Thanks!

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
You can buy a knot from many sources and glue it in. Something i haven't tackled yet. Too many variables for me. I had wild west do it.

Hey, I was hoping I could get some recommendations for getting a knot put into a handle. I've never bought an empty handle before, but I picked up this one for a 30mm from Wild West Brushworks:

View attachment 1014757

What vendors are good for purchasing a knot and having them install? It looks like Razor Emporium is one, but it seems like that's more for restorations? Any help would be great. Thanks!

I usually buy a knot and have it sent to Derek to install. What price range are you looking to spend?

Check the ‘brush making and restoration’ threads for some ideas! Your handle looks great!

You can buy a knot from many sources and glue it in. Something i haven't tackled yet. Too many variables for me. I had wild west do it.

Yeah, I just didn't want to take this handle and potentially ruin it by trying something I've never done before. I'd rather let someone who knows what they're doing install it.

I usually buy a knot and have it sent to Derek to install. What price range are you looking to spend?

Since it's such a big knot, it'll probably be easier to face lather with it than bowl lather for me, so I usually prefer silvertip for the face. I was looking at Maggard's 30mm knots, and their standard silvertip was like $55. I think I'd be willing to spend that. But I dunno, 2-band might be a better idea so that a knot that big has a little more flow-through.

Check the ‘brush making and restoration’ threads for some ideas! Your handle looks great!

Thanks, yeah, Derek does fantastic work, the finish on his brushes is outstanding. Some of my favorites. I'm a huge Boston Bruins fan, so I saw this one and had to have it! :001_rolle

Yeah, I just didn't want to take this handle and potentially ruin it by trying something I've never done before. I'd rather let someone who knows what they're doing install it.

Since it's such a big knot, it'll probably be easier to face lather with it than bowl lather for me, so I usually prefer silvertip for the face. I was looking at Maggard's 30mm knots, and their standard silvertip was like $55. I think I'd be willing to spend that. But I dunno, 2-band might be a better idea so that a knot that big has a little more flow-through.

I would reach out to Derek and see if he would set a knot if you mailed him back the handle and knot. I bet he would do it for a nominal fee, if not free since you purchased the handle from him.

It's something you can tackle on your own if you're willing. It's really not difficult. The hardest part is finding the right size spacer if necessary.

It can't be that difficult to install. If you need a spacer for depth, just trace the base of the knot and cut your own. I imagine having the plug slightly recessed would be ideal.

If it were me, I'd try a glue that I can remove if need be like that from a hot glue gun. You can always ask the seller of the handle what glue he uses.

But, I've never tried it as I'm brand new to wet shaving. So I'm totally talking out of my backside here, lol.

It's something you can tackle on your own if you're willing. It's really not difficult. The hardest part is finding the right size spacer if necessary.
Exactly. This isn’t rocket science. Test the height you want, and if it’s right you just squeeze your adhesive onto the knot and put into the handle. Wait 24 hrs. 6 year old you could do it.

So the spacer would be to adjust the loft height to where you want it? Like I said, I know nothing about this.

This is not a difficult task at all. Just use a small amount of 100% silicone to install the knot. I get the small tube that I can put the cap back on for around four or five bucks. You might want to pick up some cheap calipers from Harbor Frieght for like twelve bucks so that you can get a measurement of the loft. Start somewhere around 50mm for a 24mm knot and maybe slightly less at 48mm for a 26mm knot. Let it dry overnight then give it a try to see how you like it.

As long as you don't go crazy and use too much silicone you should be able to pull the knot out of the handle with a pretty good tug. That way you can test it with various lofts to see what loft you prefer. If it's too floppy maybe put the knot a bit deeper in the handle. Too much backbone, just raise it up a bit. You can use coins, nylon washers, etc as spacers if you need to.

Once you find the ideal loft you can pull the knot and reset it permanently with some 5 minute epoxy or just leave it installed with silicone like I do as it holds quite well and insures that I can change the knot later on without having to destroy the knot or the handle. I've had knots installed for years with silicone.

By doing this yourself you'll probably save yourself some cash and you'll be able to get the very best loft for your specific preferences.

I agree that setting a knot is not difficult. I'm not the handiest person in the world, but I prefer to glue my own knots so I can play with the loft and get it just right.

When I don't want to add weight to a handle, I use a piece of wine cork as a spacer.

I second the use of silicone. It's easy to use and it holds well while still allowing for easy knot removal .

Top Bottom