What's new

Handle/Grip for Kamisori- Sugru or Wrap w/ Waxed Cotton

I've searched this forum and others as well. I really want/need a grip to use on my new Iwasaki Kamisori. I need this to ensure a good grasp of this super sharp razor. Obviously, the threat of cutting myself is paramount, but I certainly don't want to damage this awesome razor. I've ordered some Waxed Cotton cord to wrap the handle portion of the razor. I've considered getting some Sugru and forming a handle, then allowing to cure overnight.

Another option is wrapping the handle with waxed cotton cord, then spraying with one of the many nano-coating water repellant sprays on the market. An example is Puffin Spray(a current Kickstarter campaign-not affiliated with product)

So, what's the best option to protect this razor?

Thanks everyone!

I like the waxed cotton option you mentioned. Maybe you can experiment on blanks of metal in similar size and dimension to the handle of your Kamisori with other techniques. Maybe even chopsticks, until you have a method you like best for using as a wrap.

Maybe wrapping the handle in alternating colors of waxed cotton, and painting on a layer of clear epoxy? Like red, black, or white and black. You can always try it first on a chopstick lol. But that would be pretty watertight, and would look nice.

Just remember that any wrapping will trap moisture and cause rusting.

Some folks have even dipped the handle in crazy glue before applying the wrap and still ended up getting rust.

I wrap mine in deerskin. Looks & feels awesome, it's yellow & sort of traditional also.

I treat the leather to waterproof and try not to get it wet in use.

Just remember that any wrapping will trap moisture and cause rusting.

Some folks have even dipped the handle in crazy glue before applying the wrap and still ended up getting rust.

Very true. I’ve received plenty of kamisori, used ones, and I prefer buying them without any wrapping. The ones that did have wrapping all had rust. Though I will say it was light rust and easily removed.
What about dipping the handle into a protective wax? Could be more trouble than it’s worth. I’ve not found a solution yet.

Top Bottom