What's new

Handle Designs

I am back in the shop again working on brush handle designs. The two pictures of my handle shapes are both long designs, 3 1/4" long and set up for a 24mm knot. The first design I was trying to capture the feeling of a chess set and the second one has a bit larger handle with a small rounded end just large enough to stand it up. All comments and criticisms will be appreciated. I know that long handles are not the standard but after making a couple I enjoy them much more then the short stocky handles.

I really like the lines of the 1st handle. That paired up with a silvertip knot. Boy oh boy pure unadulturated gentleman status luxurey right there.

I kind of like them both, but if I had to choose then I would say #2. It kind of looks like a handlebar grip for a motorcycle!

I kind of like them both, but if I had to choose then I would say #2. It kind of looks like a handlebar grip for a motorcycle!

#2 ... definitely #2.

I'd like to see more badger brushes with long handles ... it would make for a more comfortable grip and better ergonomics.

I'm surprised none of the major brush manufacturers offer this as an option ... or do they?

regarding long handles by major, or well known brush makers, I have not found one, they all appear to be of the same design. Because of that, and the fact that I need things to do, and I like wood working, and a few other reasons I started making my own brushes. I much prefer the longer handels, they work much better for me when whipping up a lather, and applying the lather to my face.

I have been wet shaving for over fifty years and just recently got back in to the DE thanks to my Son-In-Law.

#2 ... definitely #2.

I'd like to see more badger brushes with long handles ... it would make for a more comfortable grip and better ergonomics.

I'm surprised none of the major brush manufacturers offer this as an option ... or do they?

The Omega "professional" brushes have longer handles than most brushes, but I don't think they're as long as these.

I think Shavemac makes some long handled designs and the Simpson Polo series have longer handles. I thought at one time I would like a long handled brush but never bought one. I prefer shorter handles now. I do like the design of number 2 but its not for me. Very nice lathe work. I have done a lot of woodworking but never had a lathe. Always wish I had learned how to do turning. Making your own brush is a great project and you can design it exactly as you want.

I like long handles too, I'd avoid too many grooves and beads they're places for dried shaving cream to collect.
I like shapes from classic cabinet making and architecture.
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom