What's new

Handkerchiefs

I read in today's news that Vice President Joe Biden, upon receiving the Medal of Freedom, pulled his handkerchief out of his pocket to dab away his tears. It got me thinking, Does anyone under age 40 regularly carry a handkerchief in his pocket? I suspect that not many do. I've been carrying a handkerchief in my back pocket since my youth. I wouldn't feel dressed without it.

Comments?

I've carried a handkerchief since grade school, when my parents gave me some that had been given to my father when he had taught elementary school 20 years before. Unfortunately, the reason I carried them was that I suffered from frequent nose-bleeds. I grew out of that much later in high school (junior/senior year), but it was bad for a while. The car or school bus would hit a pot hole or speed bump, and I'd be red all over. When a tissue shreds in your nostril or your pocket or you hain't got none and your face is turning ochre, well, it's time to switch to cloth.

This Christmas I received a boxed set of monogrammed handkerchiefs. I'll go through 2-3 a year. I'm popular at funerals where I invariably hand out 2 or 3. Most wives soon school their husbands.

Oh, I'm 12 years beyond 40. I started using a fountain pen in 5th grade because I write so much and appreciate the lack of friction on paper, and I used to wear a fedora when I walked for work 25 years ago. Its brim was broad enough to keep rain out of my suit, and I never lost it unlike the many umbrellas.

If you had a post-card based forum using stamps and paper, I'd be all over it.

Your erstwhile troglodyte.

MJH

Legion

Staff member
I'm not under 40, sadly. But I do EDC a hanky. A cotton square has many uses beyond wiping up snot.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
I'm 65 and I'm pretty sure I don't own one. I'm starting to feel really sorry for that fact. Almost ashamed.

OK, maybe that's too far.:w00t:

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
... and yet, far fewer uses once you do wipe up the snot.

:001_rolle

The best reply yet!
I have carried one every single day since 8th grade I believe.
Some days it gets used, others not. But when needed and it ain't there, I fell neckid.

It's one of those things my dad taught me to carry besides a little pocket money and a small pen or jackknife. At funerals or weddings, I carry two or more cleaned and pressed handkerchiefs.

In my youth I wore this on my head. Now I carry one everyday in my pocket. I do recall crying and having a runny nose before I hit 40.

$hanky_bandana_red.jpg

35, and I've carried one for at least 10 years. It gets thrown in the dirty laundry at the end of the day, and a fresh one comes out in the morning.

I have been carrying one as far back as I can remember. I had horrible allergies as a kid though so, that might have been part of it.

Still to this day I'm not a fan of "Keenex" and other facial tissues as I don't like the way they disintegrate in my hand. They also don't wipe up a coffee spill or condensation off a glass or windshield worth a darn.
:001_smile

Top Bottom