What's new

Handedness(?)

Hi folks, groovy place. I've read alot and learned more.
For the past few yrs. am a convert to DE shaving. May the saints be praised I was not born a complete idiot or I'd still be wasting my face on gawd awful disposables. Feh.

I'm beginning to get the bug for straight razors. Is that the same thing as saying "I'm a goner"?

I've got some good ideas how to start, no worries. My burning question is there a problem if I shave using my left hand? I'm fairly ambidextrous and currently am a switch hitter suing the DE.

Talk to me.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
I put off using a straight for years because I'm a lefty, but there's no difference. Some guys use one hand, others switch hands. You'll figure it out soon enough.

And yes, you're a goner. :thumbup:

No there is no reason to be concerned as a lefty. I shave left handed on one side of my face, but switch on the other. I encourage you to continue to read, and dive on in... The water is fine :thumbup1:

For the past few yrs. am a convert to DE shaving. May the saints be praised I was not born a complete idiot or I'd still be wasting my face on gawd awful disposables. Feh.

I'm beginning to get the bug for straight razors. Is that the same thing as saying "I'm a goner"?

I've got some good ideas how to start, no worries. My burning question is there a problem if I shave using my left hand? I'm fairly ambidextrous and currently am a switch hitter suing the DE.

Talk to me.

If you can switch comfortably with a DE, the transition to using a straight in either hand should be easier.
I know that lots of guys only use one hand, but personally I find getting my elbow in the way of my view is too high a price when I'm still trying to get used to a new technique (20 shaves so far).

Chapeau :)
Game on. following in the footsteps of the other B&B advised Newbies I'll score an Dovo Best Quality 6/8. I've got a strop on the way....I'm a bit of a junkie wrt pocket knives and loooove a good edge.

Chuckle. I've warned the wife. She's a nurse.

Welcome...as they say: Another one bites the dust. Welcome to the fold...I've been a str8 noob for a couple of months and love it.

I am not ambidextrous like you...my left hand is the non-dominant one. However, using the left to perform certain passes was more natural to me than using my dominant, right hand...I use my left to build lather just to get it learning new tasks that it would otherwise not do. I am seriously getting there. From a noob POV I would say: Use and do what feels natural to you.

happy shaving:thumbup1:

-Robert

Talk to me.

Absolutely no difference at all buddy so don't worry about it. Just keep in mind that once you put down the DE and pick up a straight you will never be the same and your face will thank you!

I started using a straight years ago but have finally yielded to DE for the savings in time and lower maintenance. After retirement, or possibly a less demanding job, I'll return to straights. I still have three or four put away.

Anyhow, I'm a lefty, too, and handedness has never been an issue with shaving. A straight works great either way. I could switch to right for half the shave, but am really left dominant (eye and foot, too), so my left hand is most comfortable for the fine work of shaving.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Switching hands won't feel "natural" at first but then, it will be easier.

You can use only one hand, but I would advise starting off using both hands for the first few weeks. It's really easy to learn after you practice it a bit.

Top Bottom