What's new

Hand Stropping Really WORKS!

I do this occasionally on my blades when they are not cutting right and I do find that it works, but again the Feathers that I got from Pauldog, can run 18 shaves on one blade with out stropping, I bet I can go further!

Cheers,

You will find that hand stropping a wet blade after use will work just as well as the way you do it.

So if hand stropping a wet blade works just as well as dry, then it really doesn't matter which method to use? I've stropped twice dry and am happy with the results. If wet isn't any better then I probably won't try to strop wet.

DL

So if hand stropping a wet blade works just as well as dry, then it really doesn't matter which method to use? I've stropped twice dry and am happy with the results. If wet isn't any better then I probably won't try to strop wet.

DL

My inquisitive mind wants to try both methods and see how I like them...my GEM hasnt arrive yet Dustin,I will let you know when I get it.

Today was my 12th shave...BBS once again but this time with an english Rocket(I love that small razor) I tried the wet stropping tecnique and works really good too.Thanks for the advices.

Today was my 12th shave...BBS once again but this time with an english Rocket(I love that small razor) I tried the wet stropping tecnique and works really good too.Thanks for the advices.

I will do shave 9 tonight. I have been lazy and have not shaved since Thursday night. I just bought a Kris Kross stropper off eBay and assuming the leather disc is in good shape, I will try that as well. If not, then the stropper will look good in my display cabinet.

DL

I will do shave 9 tonight. I have been lazy and have not shaved since Thursday night. I just bought a Kris Kross stropper off eBay and assuming the leather disc is in good shape, I will try that as well. If not, then the stropper will look good in my display cabinet.

DL

I wanted a twinplex but Kris Kross are better looking and works fine as well.And yes,they look cool in a cabinet,I can tell you!

I've done this just to see and I THINK it worked. But I can't tell how much is in my head and how much it is really working.

I've done this just to see and I THINK it worked. But I can't tell how much is in my head and how much it is really working.

man if you try it 4 times and you get a BBS shave ,you know that is not your head and its actually working!

What an interesting thread. While I have no interest at all in extending the life of my blades, I want to try it just to see if it works.

I suppose stropping must be similar to the principle of steeling the edge on a chef's knife; you aren't making it sharp but are re-setting the edge, making it straight again.

So what makes a good stropping material beside your hand? Cork, leather, glass . . . ? I have a flat piece of cork mat that I'm going to try, as well as a wine cork.

What an interesting thread. While I have no interest at all in extending the life of my blades, I want to try it just to see if it works.

I suppose stropping must be similar to the principle of steeling the edge on a chef's knife; you aren't making it sharp but are re-setting the edge, making it straight again.

So what makes a good stropping material beside your hand? Cork, leather, glass . . . ? I have a flat piece of cork mat that I'm going to try, as well as a wine cork.
I dont know about the cork but the leather works for sure..you can try it on a leather belt.
I have to talk to somebody in Spain, who a friend told me,that he claims that hes been using the same blade for over 4 months using only a Twinplex sharpener...I discovered that this evening and I wanna know is this is true.Ill let you know when I talk to that guy.

I am also a recent hand stropping convert, and it works better than I could have imagined. If you can do it and even get a few more shaves out of one blade it saves $ over the long haul.

Very cool indeed!

The video showed him just giving each side two swipes. Is that enough for stropping or was he just demonstrating the procedure?
Also could you strop your blade on a mirror?
Wp

I tried palm stropping today and it works. I used the same blade that irritated my face before and after palm stropping, I got smoother shave. I don't know about extending the life of the blade but it does help giving a smoother shave.

Way to resurrect a thread! By my count this thread in particular has been revived thrice since it was started. I am not complaining though, as I am a true believer in palm stropping my blade after each and every shave. FWIW I shave every other day and I change blades on the first of every month. That gives me an average of twelve to fifteen 2-pass shaves per blade. If you dig deep enough into the topic by searching the threads, you will find some spirited debates as to whether it really works; whether it is really worth it given the price of blades; or whether it is purely a placebo effect.
I fall in the group that believes that it works and for me it is well worth it.
If there is any interest at all, here is my ritual.
After my shave, I disassemble my razor and swish the head and the bottom plate in rubbing alcohol and set the pieces aside on a towel. The blade then gets four strops per side for a total of 16 quick strops. The blade gets an alcohol swish and everything is reassembled and hung in the stand until my next shave. I can't imagine the process taking longer than two minutes. It takes me an hour to shower and shave the way I enjoy doing it, so another two minutes is cake.
Yeah, I am into the whole Zen of the shave ... and I wouldn't have it any other way!

Top Bottom