What's new

Hand Stropping Really WORKS!

today was my 12th shave...this is amazing and is working great!I think that I can get 20 shaves with the same blade easily.I bought a Kris Kros blade sharpener but I dont know if Im really gonna use it;at least was cheap.

today was my 12th shave...this is amazing and is working great!I think that I can get 20 shaves with the same blade easily.I bought a Kris Kros blade sharpener but I dont know if Im really gonna use it;at least was cheap.

Last night was my eighth, again BBS. Wow.

DL

I tried this with a Red Personna DE blade this morning that I would normally have thrown out and replaced with a new blade. The shave was pretty good though not the same as if I had used a new blade.
This may warrant a few more tries to see if it really does make a difference.

I just run my blade through a soft cork I have every other shave or so. I just do it twice per edge, and it's good to go. I will have to try this technique though as well...

I have a small scrap of fine leather cut from an old discarded wallet that seems to work great when laid flat on a counter top.

I too..am a hand stroper convert!..tried it last nite withmy merkur HD n a gillettte yella blade..4x on the palm each side..worked like a charm!..My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?..I heard fethers r the only ones that worknia DE?....anyone know?

before and yes has to be dry blades...try it and let me know is works for you.

Mr Hand Strop expert. I have been doing this for a very long time. Blade does not have to be dry, and it does not have to be done before you shave.

Try hand stropping a wet blade just after you shave with it. That works too! And I know that is how Dave does it.

I too..am a hand stroper convert!..tried it last nite withmy merkur HD n a gillettte yella blade..4x on the palm each side..worked like a charm!..My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?..I heard fethers r the only ones that worknia DE?....anyone know?

Not a smart idea. Modifying a DE blade for use in a SE razor. Why not just buy a SE blade designed for that purpose. Then hand strop it. No need to worry about the modified blade.

My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?

I'm not sure I understand, but are you refering to using a DE blade in a single edge Gem? Two different types of blades. Single edges are readily available so it wouldn't be worth the trouble to modify a DE blade to fit a single edge razor (thats if it could even be done).

DL

Ok, I want to know how many shaves people are getting out of the various SE blades with hand-stropping

Gem / Pella PTFE?

Pal Carbon Steel?

Treet Carbon Steel?

Gem Blue Star?

Have only hand stropped the Pella PTFE blades. Get 7 great shaves that feature 6 passes. I do 4 on the face and 2 on the shaved head. I have gotten as high as 9 shaves with the first Pella I tried this technique with. Figured that a week with one blade is enough.

I also hand strop my Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge DE blades and get 14 shaves from a blade. Did get 23 shaves with the first one I tried. 6 passes on this one as well. But the last 3-4 shaves were not a treat to get a BBS shave with. Again, do 14 cause two weeks with a blade like that are enough.

I do switch between SE and DE razors each day. And to take it further I also switch SE and DE razors within the rotation of each type. So I hand strop the blade before I put it in the next razor in the rotation.

Mr Hand Strop expert. I have been doing this for a very long time. Blade does not have to be dry, and it does not have to be done before you shave.

Try hand stropping a wet blade just after you shave with it. That works too! And I know that is how Dave does it.

I don't think he was trying to offend or be a know-it-all. Just helpful.

DL

Thanks for telling....I gonna try it and let you know!and you are the Mr Hand Strop expert sir,not me:001_smile

Thanks for telling....I gonna try it and let you know!and you are the Mr Hand Strop expert sir,not me:001_smile

You called me the Hand Strop Expert, I didn't.

You will find that hand stropping a wet blade after use will work just as well as the way you do it.

You called me the Hand Strop Expert, I didn't.

You will find that hand stropping a wet blade after use will work just as well as the way you do it.

well Im sure that you have more experience than me and thats a grade!thanks for sharing your tecnique and actually I will try it tomorrow.Greetings!

Top Bottom