What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hand Stropping Really WORKS!

Alright so... the hand stropping works... now what else is handy that could do similar?

How about a belt?

today was my 12th shave...this is amazing and is working great!I think that I can get 20 shaves with the same blade easily.I bought a Kris Kros blade sharpener but I dont know if Im really gonna use it;at least was cheap.

today was my 12th shave...this is amazing and is working great!I think that I can get 20 shaves with the same blade easily.I bought a Kris Kros blade sharpener but I dont know if Im really gonna use it;at least was cheap.
Last night was my eighth, again BBS. Wow.

DL

I tried this with a Red Personna DE blade this morning that I would normally have thrown out and replaced with a new blade. The shave was pretty good though not the same as if I had used a new blade.
This may warrant a few more tries to see if it really does make a difference.

I just run my blade through a soft cork I have every other shave or so. I just do it twice per edge, and it's good to go. I will have to try this technique though as well...

I have a small scrap of fine leather cut from an old discarded wallet that seems to work great when laid flat on a counter top.

I too..am a hand stroper convert!..tried it last nite withmy merkur HD n a gillettte yella blade..4x on the palm each side..worked like a charm!..My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?..I heard fethers r the only ones that worknia DE?....anyone know?

before and yes has to be dry blades...try it and let me know is works for you.
Mr Hand Strop expert. I have been doing this for a very long time. Blade does not have to be dry, and it does not have to be done before you shave.

Try hand stropping a wet blade just after you shave with it. That works too! And I know that is how Dave does it.

I too..am a hand stroper convert!..tried it last nite withmy merkur HD n a gillettte yella blade..4x on the palm each side..worked like a charm!..My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?..I heard fethers r the only ones that worknia DE?....anyone know?
Not a smart idea. Modifying a DE blade for use in a SE razor. Why not just buy a SE blade designed for that purpose. Then hand strop it. No need to worry about the modified blade.

My question is..how do you strope a DE blade to be used for a GEM?..assuming you break off the small stump edges n break the blade in half?
I'm not sure I understand, but are you refering to using a DE blade in a single edge Gem? Two different types of blades. Single edges are readily available so it wouldn't be worth the trouble to modify a DE blade to fit a single edge razor (thats if it could even be done).

DL

Ok, I want to know how many shaves people are getting out of the various SE blades with hand-stropping

Gem / Pella PTFE?

Pal Carbon Steel?

Treet Carbon Steel?

Gem Blue Star?
Have only hand stropped the Pella PTFE blades. Get 7 great shaves that feature 6 passes. I do 4 on the face and 2 on the shaved head. I have gotten as high as 9 shaves with the first Pella I tried this technique with. Figured that a week with one blade is enough.

I also hand strop my Gillette 7 O'Clock SharpEdge DE blades and get 14 shaves from a blade. Did get 23 shaves with the first one I tried. 6 passes on this one as well. But the last 3-4 shaves were not a treat to get a BBS shave with. Again, do 14 cause two weeks with a blade like that are enough.

I do switch between SE and DE razors each day. And to take it further I also switch SE and DE razors within the rotation of each type. So I hand strop the blade before I put it in the next razor in the rotation.

Mr Hand Strop expert. I have been doing this for a very long time. Blade does not have to be dry, and it does not have to be done before you shave.

Try hand stropping a wet blade just after you shave with it. That works too! And I know that is how Dave does it.
I don't think he was trying to offend or be a know-it-all. Just helpful.

DL

Thanks for telling....I gonna try it and let you know!and you are the Mr Hand Strop expert sir,not me:001_smile

Thanks for telling....I gonna try it and let you know!and you are the Mr Hand Strop expert sir,not me:001_smile
You called me the Hand Strop Expert, I didn't.

You will find that hand stropping a wet blade after use will work just as well as the way you do it.

You called me the Hand Strop Expert, I didn't.

You will find that hand stropping a wet blade after use will work just as well as the way you do it.
well Im sure that you have more experience than me and thats a grade!thanks for sharing your tecnique and actually I will try it tomorrow.Greetings!

Top Bottom