What's new

hand scaling tools

Supposing one has a 3/4" thick blank that needed to be sectioned in half (into two blanks). On hand I have a coping saw and Japanese hand saw. In terms of a cutting guide or other hand apparatus what else would be advisable?

Hunter Bock have you gotten this done yet? what you are talking about doing is re-sawing the wood blank. It can be done by hand, the Japanese hand saw should work well for it. You will absolutely need a clamp or vise (a vise would be best). You could set up a fancy rip fence to help guide you, but it’s really not needed. 3/4“ halved will still be 3/8” pieces (minus the kerf of the blade). Thats plenty of material left over for razor scales. The point there is your re-saving doesn’t have to be perfect, you have some wiggle room. I do assume you’re talking about wood. Resawing other material by hand... I doubt you’ll have much success. I’ll link an article below that describes it in detail.

Not yet 5whiskey. Since my June posting I've acquired some saw attachments for my dremel so I will have a non manual option. I have a cast iron desk vise which seems apt. I acquired bog oak & kauri blanks which I'll tackle after I have a few scales under my belt -- don't want to screw those up.

Feedback I've received elsewhere indicates that acrylic, bone and micarta are readily doable by hand, but that G10 is problematic.

Thanks for the link. It helps.

Top Bottom