What's new

Hand sanding a blade? Make a jig to hold it or else!

After hand sanding my second razor I started to have some pain in my thumb and index finger. I do have a bad habit of gripping things rather hard like pens and steering wheels ect. As well I played guitar in hard rock bands for over 2o years so my thumb already had some issues. About a week later my thumb started getting stuck in the bent position in the mornings. I was a little concerned but as it would loosen up after a while I didn't make too much of it. Well of course it got worse and it turns out I have trigger finger or rather trigger thumb in this case and get to make a visit to an orthopedist. Make a jig to hold your razors so you can do this ---> :thumbup:

Edit: This also means I can't shave with my new restored razors until it heals say 6 weeks +/-.

Last edited:
I make a living with my hands and I can't imagine not having full use of them. Glad you caught this early enough. A jig is great for not only your situation but can make things not only more productive and accurate but safer in many cases as well.

I use a thick piece of leather folded over as my sanding "jig"

Attachments

• $P1020746.jpg
    $P1020746.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 170
  • $P1020747.jpg
    $P1020747.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 170
  • $P1020748.jpg
    $P1020748.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 171
I make a living with my hands and I can't imagine not having full use of them. Glad you caught this early enough. A jig is great for not only your situation but can make things not only more productive and accurate but safer in many cases as well.
I used to make a living with my hands as well with both my day job and my band. As of recently I am on disability for a multitude of health problems and can do nether anymore. Restoring razors is my new hobby to keep me feeling productive. So I'm just out a hobby for a little while not work.

I use a thick piece of leather folded over as my sanding "jig"
That actually looks pretty nice. My issue though is with my left hand from holding the razor in place. I was holding it by the tang and shank using too tight of a grip. I already had problems with my left thumb from guitar and should have been more careful.

I had a feeling that's what your situation was. Using your hand instead of a vice. I have a pretty good grip myself,, but lately I've been clamping stuff down. After a few hours muscles fatigue and my work gets sloppy.Just picked up a nifty little swivel vice with rubber lined jaws for $20.00. Angles in any direction I choose and is very stable. Might want to give it some thought.
Or ,, make up a wood jig with either clamps or magnets along with a couple of stops to hold the razor in place as you sand. A stable base makes life easier and the sanding go quicker.

Last edited:
Or ,, make up a wood jig with either clamps or magnets along with a couple of stops to hold the razor in place as you sand. A stable base makes life easier and the sanding go quicker.
I made one with magnets as per Bill Ellis's jig http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/77841-Restoration-Blade-Safety-Jig But it was too late the damage was done.
your just asking for tendons to be cut, there are reasons strops and such have been use for years, many people have tried to re-in-invent the wheel and get hurt
I'm not sure what a strop has to do with this? I'm talking about holding the razor while sanding for restoration work.

I quit hand sanding on e I got my dremel. You can use the magnetic jig that you made and get a dremel with a stylus attachment, makes it much easier to hold, like using a pencil. Then get some of the 3m abrasion wheels for the dremel and the hand sanding is out the window. Much easier.

Here's a link to the wheels I am referring to. They have scotch brite wheels too.

http://www.contenti.com/products/abrasives/131-403.html

Just picked up a nifty little swivel vice with rubber lined jaws for $20.00. Angles in any direction I choose and is very stable. Might want to give it some thought

Any additional information on the vice? Ive been looking for one and that sounds perfect (nice price too).

When I sand I use an eraser. Nice soft malleable one from Germany. Works great! Keeps my fingers away from the blade too!

Top Bottom