What's new

Hand lotion, what type/brand do you use?

I have used Fruit of the Earth vitamin E skin before, it works really well. The Body Shop make a hemp hand protector, that in my opinion is awesome. My wife has some stuff called Ahava I bought for her that she loves, and I steal some ever once in a while. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it works pretty good.

I recently found a product called "O'Keefe's Working Hands".

This is full strength, made (as implied) for people who work with their hands and develop cracks. For my profession I work with my hands and scrub them frequently and this stuff has cleared up the extreme dryness and has helped heal the skin.

I make my own from raw Shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter and almond oil. Easy to do, cheaper than the commercial products, and works better than anything I have tried. And I have used hand lotions all my life as I have very dry skin.

That's the stuff there. Before I started using that stuff my knuckles would do nothing but crack and bleed all winter thanks to my dry skin and work environment. Using the that product once a day(before bed)keeps my hands well taken care of. And you only need the smallest amount to get great results.

Love that stuff - available just about everywhere and is cheap!

I use The Body Shop's hemp hand protector. I love the stuff. It feels great and unlike anything I've ever tried before. Also, unrefined shea butter works well for me after I apply some to my face.

I recently found a product called "O'Keefe's Working Hands".

This is full strength, made (as implied) for people who work with their hands and develop cracks. For my profession I work with my hands and scrub them frequently and this stuff has cleared up the extreme dryness and has helped heal the skin.

I saw this in the store and was tempted. What does it smell like? I've found a lot of these heavy-duty creams tend to have a strong medicinal smell, which I don't care for.

I use Aveeno Oatmeal lotion for my body and hands.. I find it super moisturizing. I used to get really dry cracked skin on my hands, especially the knuckles. 3 years later.. Have not had a bad skin day, I have a bottle I keep at work just to use after washing my hands.

I used to use the Neutrogena Norwegian Formula. It works great, doesn't leave a greasy residue (I used to work with natural rubber, oil and rubber don't play nice with one another), and my hands did not crack (which was a typical winter problem for myself).

I no longer work with rubber and have found that PREVEX is as good a product and it is cheaper! The bonus with the PREVEX is that it acts as a moisture barrier. Reducing the drying effects of soaps and anti-bacterial gels.

I make my own from raw Shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter and almond oil. Easy to do, cheaper than the commercial products, and works better than anything I have tried. And I have used hand lotions all my life as I have very dry skin.

+1

I use a shea butter, coconut and apricot kernel oil blend. Very easy and very inexpensive. Most commercial products are 75% water.

Eben Stone

Staff member
I know this is an old thread but I couldn't find anything newer and there's lots of great suggestions already mentioned here.

I have used Fruit of the Earth vitamin E skin before, it works really well. The Body Shop make a hemp hand protector, that in my opinion is awesome. My wife has some stuff called Ahava I bought for her that she loves, and I steal some ever once in a while. It doesn't smell the greatest, but it works pretty good.
I use The Body Shop's hemp hand protector. I love the stuff. It feels great and unlike anything I've ever tried before. Also, unrefined shea butter works well for me after I apply some to my face.
Wow The Body Shop Hemp stuff is STANKY. Like CBD oil or a dead skunk. I know I have a strong sense of smell, but I was not prepared for this. I'm surprised how pungent the scent is and how long it lasts. I put some on and I can still smell it 4 hours later. Luckily it's low projection, but wow, anytime I put my hands up to my face, like for eating it drinking, I can smell it and it's not a good combination with food or drink. I know scents are very subjective, but the verdict is still out if I can tolerate this stuff.

In contrast, I also got some La Roche-Posay Cicaplast to try. Zero perceptible scent, absolutely non-greasy, and absorbs in seconds. Haven't had it long enough to know if it will heal my cracked hands.

Last edited:
I use Rosken. The key ingredient is made from olives. It works well, even on my dry skin and it does not irritate me like a lot of lotions do.

I used to use a discounter Nivea Soft knock-off (each discounter here in Germany like Aldi, Edeka, Lidl etc. has one cheapo "Soft Creme" with a tub similar to the original from Nivea) that contains plant based oils instead of paraffin. Both are oil-in-water emulsions with glycerin.
When they ran out of stock I bought the original Nivea Soft which its label says is for hand, face and body. I use it for hands and face (body lotion for body cause it's cheaper).
I just found out my forehead's skin likes it much better than the knock-off - all the little pimples are gone - guess the bacteria/fungus can't feed on the parrafin and don't like it, but my skin does. Feels fresh and silky smooth.

Also the after shave lotion burns less - using it pre and post shave before the AS.

Works great for my hands too - I've ocd and wash them all the time. It's absorbed fast and doesn't feel sticky like many hand lotions, that have a higher glycerin content, I guess.

Last edited:
Top Bottom