What's new

Hand lotion, what type/brand do you use?

Being a person who has used hand lotion on my hands for over 40 years I've primarily used the standard Vaseline Intensive Care lotion, but after trying some lotion in a another guy's office where he was using some Bath & Bodyworks stuff I came to realize that there are many good lotions out there that I've not tried. What do you guys recommend?

I wash my hands a lot during the course of a day and have noticed that when I've used a lot of liquid hand soap, my hands are even dryer. What do you do to combat this problem?

Look at the ingredient list, you want one that does not contain mineral oil.

Sadly the commercial lotions (that I have seen) all contain glycerin, because it's a cheap filler ingredient and also helps add to the forever shelf life.

This is a great link that talks about why you don't want glycerin or mineral oil. I used it in another thread recently as well.
http://www.muracream.com/minoil-gly

It's shocking at the different it makes using a lotion without glycerin or mineral oil.
But that's just my humble opinion.

Last edited:
Cetaphil. Recommended by my dermatologist and today I saw it at Costco. It goes on thick but dries with no grease and leaves the skin soft.

I don't know the contents, but C&E Gardeners Hand Therapy has worked well for me. I prefer the thicker cream that comes in a tube, rather than the pump-bottle lotion. Nice spicy scent too - not too flowery.

Cetaphil. Recommended by my dermatologist and today I saw it at Costco. It goes on thick but dries with no grease and leaves the skin soft.

+1

It sounds like you may be referring to the cream. They also make a lotion that is a bit lighter.

Look at the ingredient list, you want one that does not contain mineral oil.

Sadly the commercial lotions (that I have seen) all contain glycerin, because it's a cheap filler ingredient and also helps add to the forever shelf life.

This is a great link that talks about why you don't want glycerin or mineral oil. I used it in another thread recently as well.

It's shocking at the different it makes using a lotion without glycerin or mineral oil.

Krissy, I would like your recommendation for a good body lotion or skin cream. My hands get dry and flaky as do my lower legs during winter. My problem is that I hate those lotions that feel like you just applied a "second or outer skin". I want the lotion to be moisturizing and absorb into my skin, leaving it feeling soft and not sticky. The one cream I have found that works wonders for me is SBS 40 Medicated Skin Cream. Here's the ingredients:

Active Ingredients:
Allantoin, 0.2%
Chloroxylenol, 0.2%

Other Ingredients:
Water
Cetyl Esters
Petrolatum
Isopropyl Palmitate
Carbomer 934
Triethanolamine
Stearyl Alcohol
Ceteareth-20
Lanolin
Methylparaben
Propylparaben
Fragrance

The word I seem to always look for is "Medicated", but not many creams or lotions say that. What do you think?

Best stuff I've ever tried:

http://www.soapbarsoap.com/

They sell "lotion bars" for about $3.95 each. The ingredients list reads: "Cocoa Butter, Coconut Oil, Beeswax, Fragrance."

Second-best stuff is pure jojoba oil - pick it up at a local whole foods store. I add a few drops of an EO blend I got from Em's Place to make it smell nice.

Allantoin, 0.2% - Allantoin is a unique product that is used for skin protection. Allantoin is also used to hasten the growth of new, healthy tissue.
The FDA has approved the following statements for non-prescription, drug products containing Allantoin at 0.5% to 2.0%.
* For the temporary protection of minor cuts, scrapes, burns and sunburn.
* Helps prevent and temporarily protects chafed, chapped, cracked, or wind burned skin and lips.
* Relieves dryness and softens cold sores and fever blisters.
* Helps treat and prevent diaper rash. Protects chafed skin/minor skin irritation due to/associated with diaper rash and helps protect from/seal out wetness.

Allantoin is considered to be nontoxic, nonirritating and non-allergenic. Allantoin is safe and effective in the dosage range recommended (0.5 to 2.0%) as a skin protectant.

But this product contains .2% so that isn't enough to make it effective, so it's label appeal only. It doesn't even meet the FDA's requirement. So wrong on so many levels !!!!

Chloroxylenol, 0.2% - is commonly used in antibacterial soaps and has been found to kill a wide variety of microbes including bacteria and fungi within the first 15 seconds. It is not significantly toxic to humans or other mamals but is toxic to fish. It is also a mild skin irritant and may trigger allergic reactions to some people.

Water

Cetyl Esters - thickener

Petrolatum - petrolatum product, repels water and skin doesn't absorb it.

Isopropyl Palmitate - Serves many functions. Emollient, moisturizer and thickening agent and anti-static.

Carbomer 934 - thickener, suspend insoluble ingredients and to emulsify.

Triethanolamine - balances the pH

Stearyl Alcohol - Serves several purposes. Emollient, emulsifier and thickener

Ceteareth-20 - Classified as a Penetration Enhancer - alters skin structure allowing chemicals to penetrate deeper into the skin. Increases the amount of toxins that reach the bloodstream. Side Note : Potentially contaminated with impurities linked to cancer and other significant health concerns. Potential breast carcinogen (cancer).
http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ingredient.php?ingred06=701225&refurl=%2Fproduct.php%3Fprod_id%3D69408%26

Lanolin - natural (animal based) water repellent skin protectant. Not used often because many people are allergic to it.

Methylparaben - preservative, antifungal

Propylparaben - preservative,

Fragrance - scent

The word I seem to always look for is "Medicated", but not many creams or lotions say that. What do you think?

I'm not that familiar with individual lotions over the counter and their ingredients and what they will and will not do. But I do know how to break down the ingredient list and determine what's in it and if that is something I would use based on the ingredients.

But in the above lotion there are several ingredients that raise red flags for me. It really doesn't contain any skin loving oils other than the petroleum one other than the lanolin. Which has a very thick consistency almost like tar. But a lot of thickeners and emulsifiers and filler ingredients.

I'm more familiar with lotions and creams that are handmade because the maker can tailor a product to one person to meet their needs by changing the ingredients and the amounts. Because I use skin loving oils, very little thickeners and emulsifiers. My preservative is a paraben free one for those that care about that and the rate is 1% or less. And it's a broad spectrum one. And I don't use water but prefer aloe vera juice instead because it's better for the skin, and I also like to include goat's milk or another milk when I can because it's very good for the skin. Then other additives can be added in as well to make it even more wonderful for the skin.

Lotions and creams are a lot higher quality when they are handmade vs store bought. (Although many buy a premade base and call them handmade. But everyone that I know switches once they try one because the difference is that great.

Some that I like:

Earth Therapeutics' Gardener's Hand Repair. Pretty good, maybe a little sticky or greasy if a lot is used.

Indulona's Anti-Bacterial and Pot Marigold Hand Lotions. A real hit at work. I perform ultrasound, and wash my hands before and after examining patients, eating, restroom breaks and such. I'm a weightlifter too, so I've never bene that kind to my hands. Really helps to prevent a lot of splitting of my skin I sued to get in the winter, and softens my calluses to something manageable. Extremely hard to come by.

Awakening HANDS. Nice, good smell. On the pricey side, though.

Working in a hospital the antibacterial soaps destroy my hands--Miracle Hand Repair Cream works well and is not too pricey IMO.

We use Stokolhausen at the oil refinery. It ain't the best in the world, but it's free. I think it's only available to chemical plants and refineries. I've never seen it for sale at retailers.

They're referring to anhydrous glycerin. If you make a lotion with any water in it, these claims about glycerin being drying are not relevant. I'm sure you can make a lotion that works great without glycerin, though.

I'm not that familiar with individual lotions over the counter and their ingredients and what they will and will not do. But I do know how to break down the ingredient list and determine what's in it and if that is something I would use based on the ingredients.

But in the above lotion there are several ingredients that raise red flags for me. It really doesn't contain any skin loving oils other than the petroleum one other than the lanolin. Which has a very thick consistency almost like tar. But a lot of thickeners and emulsifiers and filler ingredients.

I'm more familiar with lotions and creams that are handmade because the maker can tailor a product to one person to meet their needs by changing the ingredients and the amounts. Because I use skin loving oils, very little thickeners and emulsifiers. My preservative is a paraben free one for those that care about that and the rate is 1% or less. And it's a broad spectrum one. And I don't use water but prefer aloe vera juice instead because it's better for the skin, and I also like to include goat's milk or another milk when I can because it's very good for the skin. Then other additives can be added in as well to make it even more wonderful for the skin.

Lotions and creams are a lot higher quality when they are handmade vs store bought. (Although many buy a premade base and call them handmade. But everyone that I know switches once they try one because the difference is that great.

Are you currently selling your own lotion? If so, I would love to try it. If not, could you list some handmade lotions that you consider good and their websites to buy them.

I only use them in the winter. I tend to get deep cracks on my fingertips and they can hurt like the devil. My father had gotten a recommendation from a dermatologist for something called "Ultra-Mide" and I've used it for years.
The active ingredient is urea and this stuff is 25% urea. It sounds awful, but it smells and feels like....hand lotion.
Its almost $18/bottle, which kind of sucks but its worth it. I checked out other brands and it seems anything that's urea-based is expensive.

I don't use anything in the summer, but during cold weather I use Cornhuskers. From an efficacy standpoint, it's the best thing I've found.

Top Bottom