What's new

Hand lotion, what type/brand do you use?

They're referring to anhydrous glycerin. If you make a lotion with any water in it, these claims about glycerin being drying are not relevant. I'm sure you can make a lotion that works great without glycerin, though.

That whole article was a crock. Lanolin doesn't absorb water- you can make a lanolin and water emulsion, but it doesn't absorb water.

And the bit about plant oils being "absorbed"- how does that work? Do you gain calories that way? What do they do when they're absorbed? Zilch. All the oils do is provide a sort of barrier that keeps water from evaporating from your hands, much like a chap-stick does for your lips.

The glycerin will draw water to it, but generally from deeper layers of skin, water inside the lotion itself, and the outside air- it won't dry your skin because any moisture it brings up to the surface is replaced via your bloodstream.

Glycerin isn't toxic, and nor will it blister your tongue; it's used all the time in food products. I suppose if you use anhydrous glycerin, like soapbox says, it will, but that's like saying that salt is extremely toxic. Sure, if you eat enough of it. Glycerin's not even synthetic (at least not in the sense that these folks imagine; it's a byproduct of soapmaking/biodiesel making, which is a simple reaction)

Back to the OP though... I tend to use the vaseline intensive care lotion when I do use lotion. It keeps my hands from cracking, and that's about all I worry about.

QUOTE=MPruett

Lanolin doesn't absorb water- you can make a lanolin and water emulsion, but it doesn't absorb water.
Lanolin is a natural oil that is extracted from a sheeps wool. To make an emulsion of oil and water you need an emulsifying agent or it will seperate. Just like mixing a liquid oil and water. I've not worked with actual lanolin but have worked with many other oils and water emulsions. There are many emulsifiers that are available.

And the bit about plant oils being "absorbed"- how does that work? Do you gain calories that way? What do they do when they're absorbed? Zilch. All the oils do is provide a sort of barrier that keeps water from evaporating from your hands, much like a chap-stick does for your lips.
The reason why chap-stick acts as a barrier on your skin is because of the wax, usually bees wax or soy wax is added to the heated oils. Then once it comes back to room temp you get a chap stick like consistency. Yes I make chap-stick as well, in the tubes. Your skin does absorb many things and oils are included along with many other things. What determines if your skin can absorb what is put on it or not depends on the size of the molecules of the product being applied. And I'm sorry but there are many oils and other ingredients that your skin does absorb.

This is one example of one ingredient that is used in many products that doesn't rate very well and is a well known product used to skin enhancing how the skin absorbs ingredients.

What about topical medication? We put them directly on the skin so our skin will absorb the active ingredient in the medication. Same thing with oils and other ingredients. Some are safe and others are not.

The glycerin will draw water to it, but generally from deeper layers of skin, water inside the lotion itself, and the outside air- it won't dry your skin because any moisture it brings up to the surface is replaced via your bloodstream.
When glycerin and water are added to an emulsified product the water evaporates leaves the glycerin behind and that is when it can draw out moisture from the inner layers of skin. I have gotten more compliments on my lotions and creams because the glycerin is left out. Until you try the two you don't realize the difference that is between the two.

Glycerin isn't toxic, and nor will it blister your tongue; it's used all the time in food products. I suppose if you use anhydrous glycerin, like soapbox says, it will, but that's like saying that salt is extremely toxic. Sure, if you eat enough of it. Glycerin's not even synthetic (at least not in the sense that these folks imagine; it's a byproduct of soapmaking/biodiesel making, which is a simple reaction)
Sticky topic on the quality of glycerin that is made as a byproduct from biodiesel. Many believe that that the biodiesel glycerin is such a low grade quality and doesn't compare to the quality of a vegetable based glycerin.

Glycerin can be obtained from a vegetable source and is often the preferred type. This is a quote from a well known vendor who sells vegetable glycerin.

Description: Vegetable glycerin is the result of a sophisticated extraction method called Hydrolysis, with the final product being referred to as Vegetable Glycerin. This system is based on the fats and oils of a raw product (typically palm or coconut) that are then split into crude glycerol fats, under the combined action of water, temperature and pressure. These temperatures can exceed 400° degrees and the material is usually kept under pressure for 20-30 minutes. What is actually occurring is a sort of counter-flow where the water absorbs glycerol from the fatty acid phase of the oil production. After this phase this glycerol is isolated and further distilled to give buyers a standard Glycerin product.

About the glycerin that can blister your tongue, that would be 100% glycerin.
Glycerin is also highly "hygroscopic" which means that it absorbs water from the air. Example: if you left a bottle of pure glycerin exposed to air in your kitchen, it would take moisture from the air and eventually, it would become 80 per glycerin and 20 percent water.
And even a closed bottle can attract moisture from the air when it's open and closed and worked with.

I realize that not everyone shares my opinion, but I gained my opinion because of a lot of deep and through research. The research is still there about glycerin but sadly so many have not come around to the disadvantages of using glycerin. It has it's place, just not in lotions and creams in my humble opinion.

My Dermatologist recommended Cera Ve Lotion for all-over use, and although it's a bit spendy ($11-$13 a bottle), it does a wonderful job. The Cera Ve moisturizes well without being heavy or leaving a greasy feeling. I also like Eucerin Calming Cream if I have any severely itchy problem areas.

I really like Lather Yuzu Bergamot moisturizer...but it ain't cheap. It's kind of a luxury. But it smells so good!
My wife likes Aveeno Stress Relief Moisturizer.

I only use them in the winter. I tend to get deep cracks on my fingertips and they can hurt like the devil. My father had gotten a recommendation from a dermatologist for something called "Ultra-Mide" and I've used it for years.
The active ingredient is urea and this stuff is 25% urea. It sounds awful, but it smells and feels like....hand lotion.
Its almost $18/bottle, which kind of sucks but its worth it. I checked out other brands and it seems anything that's urea-based is expensive.

Wow, I didn't know they still made that stuff. It sure brings back some bad memories. I used to suffer from horrible eczema on my hands growing up, and that's what the dermatologist recommended. It's good stuff, but only worth the price if you really need it, IMO.

This is a great link that talks about why you don't want glycerin or mineral oil. I used it in another thread recently as well.
http://www.muracream.com/minoil-gly

It's shocking at the different it makes using a lotion without glycerin or mineral oil.

From the muracream article:
Lanolin absorbs 27% of its own weight in water which it then carries into your skin, hydrating it quickly. This makes lanolin one of the best and most efficient moisturizers known to cosmetic science.

As already noted by MPruett (and wikipedia, below), this statement is false. Lanolin is a great moisturizer, but not because it can absorb water. The author lacks an understanding of lanolin and it calls the rest of the article's veracity into question.

From wikipedia:
Chemically, lanolin is a wax, that is a mixture of esters of fatty acids with high molecular weight alcohols. There are more than 180 different acids and 80 alcohols identified. The melting point is about 40 °C (104 °F). It is insoluble in water... As an ointment base, it is readily absorbed through skin, facilitating absorption of the medicinal chemicals it carries.

Lanolin is a natural oil that is extracted from a sheeps wool. To make an emulsion of oil and water you need an emulsifying agent or it will seperate. Just like mixing a liquid oil and water. I've not worked with actual lanolin but have worked with many other oils and water emulsions. There are many emulsifiers that are available.

You are totally correct. But why believe the top half of the muracream article, about glycerin and mineral oil, and not believe the bottom half, about lanolin? In addition, I found a counterexample to the muracream claims about mineral oil: WebMD produced an article claiming that cosmetics-grade mineral oil is no longer considered pore-clogging.

On the other hand, I use commercial hand lotion in the winter time, and so does my wife. There's no reason a glycerin-free, petroleum-free skin cream can't be fantastic. I'd love to test the difference. What's the URL for your store?

My hands suffer terribly in the winter months. I had dermatitus when I was an apprentice engineer some 30 years ago and have had problems when it's cold ever since. I thoroughly recommend Neutrogena 'Norwegian Formula' concentrated hand cream. You only need a tiny amount and it sinks in so doesn't feel greasy. When I use this I don't have any problems even in the coldest conditions. I presume it's available in the US as it's a North American company.

LB.

It's easy. 4+ parts water to 1 part glycerin ($3 for 6 oz from Walmart) then add 1 part olive oil (if you wish) to act as a barrier and 1% (4 drops per ounce - assuming 360 drops per ounce) essential oil (if you wish) for fragrance (vitacost.com has good prices). It's the same thing as trumper's skin food (ingredients: water, glycerin, alcohol, fragrance) without the alcohol and a different fragrance. If you want it lighter use more water, heavier less, same with the olive oil. Experiment with the parts a bit. More glycerin will make it sticky. I mix and use it in little sample containers available in the travel section from Target/Walmart (buy them for $0.99 empty or filled with something then empty them). If you use oil it'll seperate so you'll have to shake it before use buy glycerin & water won't seperate. To me this works just as good as anything commercial I've found. Plus it's dirt cheap and I'm not dumping all those chemicals on me and down the drain. Plus I understand what every ingredient is doing.

There is a product called "No Crack" that is supposedly developed by a pharmacist for her father's hands and feet. It was a special order item I found at the pharmacy and it worked pretty good. It still wasn't near as good as Ultra-Mide, IMHO.
Someone mentioned Curel. I was looking at creams at the drug store where I buy Ultra-Mide and saw "Curel 15" and "Curel 20". The numbers stated the percentage of urea....the more urea, the higher the price. They too were $15-$20/bottle or tube.
It seems a lot to pay for hand lotion, but the little cracks I get on my fingertips are deep and very painful, so its worth it. Putting Ultra-Mide on a crack stings, but they heal fast. If I remember to use it each night, they don't even occur.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I actually find the Mama Bear 'summer' aftershave milk to be quite good at moisturising my hands ... just get the 'unscented' as the scents come pretty strong there.

I don't know if that would work for major cracks and the like, but for generally dry and rough skin, go for it.

Lotil. You will not find a superior pre-made brand... period. Their lip balm is equally superlative.

My hands suffer terribly in the winter months. I had dermatitus when I was an apprentice engineer some 30 years ago and have had problems when it's cold ever since. I thoroughly recommend Neutrogena 'Norwegian Formula' concentrated hand cream. You only need a tiny amount and it sinks in so doesn't feel greasy. When I use this I don't have any problems even in the coldest conditions. I presume it's available in the US as it's a North American company.

LB.

+1 Great stuff, and yes, readily available around these parts.

proxy.php

Raw Shea butter, on everything. Can't believe only one other guy said that. I bought the stuff on eBay from Ghana by the ounce. It works just as well but having thought about it, especially with ebola, I'm buying the next batch from AAA Shea because they have tests ran, so there's a premium. However, you pay like 20x more for peace of mind.

Last edited:
Top Bottom