What's new

Hand forged axe shopping

This showed up today. Seems really nice and don’t think I would have wanted any shorter of a handle. Apparently I am used to using large axes. This feels small and relatively light to me. Unfortunately it is hot as Hades out so no trying it out today.

F7B7B25D-311B-4DF3-BF28-31A5EC4A32C0.jpeg
69540398-D1AF-40DF-9D13-D0D53E53B880.jpeg

E79690B2-9E03-49FB-9963-F33153337C31.jpeg
4F380A97-A93D-4918-A0E2-A6FE921EE3A7.jpeg

Up here in the mountains, this is not an uncommon occurrence. This is a small one. More often the blockage is a lot bigger. There’s an axe (Hults Bruk or Council Tool Boy’s Axe) in the truck and SUV at all times.

Ok still uncomfortably humid, but cooler. Got out and took out some trees. This thing is great. I saw the GB SFA and it would have been too small for this job. It really looks nice though might still pick one up someday.

This axe was the perfect size for getting into a tree fall on a hill and chopping my way out and getting trees off the fence which they completely crushed. Still even with all that I took a beating once I hit the heart of the oak tree. That is stupid hardwood.

Very happy. Also one used I honed it back up with a puck and an Ark. Edge came out nice.

Awesome always great when I get to play with the axes. Lol I brought out the scandi forest axe so I could make some feather sticks for a s’mores fire this evening.

That Scandinavian forest axe is better suited for light work or softer trees and around the fire. Did some more chopping today and these trees are way to big and too hard for that kind of axe profile and length. This thing is just big enough and tough enough. Really like this axe. Haven't made my way to splitting wood yet with it, but seems like it would be fantastic at it. Holds an edge exceptionally well too.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I have one pick axe, one GB Small Forest axe and two hatchets, a GB Wildlife hatchet and an older Estwing hatchet that sits in the emergency bug out kit.

Update. This is perfect for putting on my pack and hiking. I went camping very cold and wet to Black Balsam Knob in NC over the weekend. Of all the things everyone brought this turned out to be the best thing. Without it we would have froze to death. Very capable axe and kept an edge through the whole weekend. Felling chopping and splitting. Does it all very well.

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
I've got the Gransfors Bruks SFA, and just reading the title it was the one I was going to suggest. In terms of size, it's my wife's axe -- I jokingly said that I bought it for her, and she has NEVER let go of it. She loves it and we're planning a trip to their factory in Sweden; wherein I will buy one for myself and probably a spare in case something happens to hers or mine. It's an awesome axe -- sharp as can be and great for felling small (up to 10 inch diameter trees). Mostly we use it for limbing and bucking when the tree is down. Prior to getting a chainsaw (which is pretty much all I use for anything over 5 inches in diameter), that axe was all that we had. It may take a few swings, but it's not heavy and did I mention it is incredibly sharp? The other thing I've done is located several forged axe heads in flea markets and a couple in yard sales -- the handles were either trashed or gone, but getting a hickory handle isn't difficult and neither is hanging the head -- something you may want to consider. The one thing I'll say is that those 'old timey' axe heads definitely had some weight on them, and I can't swing it as hard or as long as I can the Gransfors. Plus it's definitely more work restoring than purchasing an axe -- but I'm an old school guy (both in razors and cutting tools), and I tend to prefer vintage or incredibly well-made items.
[emoji3516]+1
I have a GB SFA and it's perfect for packing around (smaller size) and it's an excellent cutter. It's no felling axe but certainly suitable for limbing and small work. They are spendy, but for good reason.

Wranglestar in YouTube is an axe nut and has plenty of videos where he goes through different axe types and brands. I would recommend looking through his catalog of videos and reviewing a few. He offers a wealth of knowledge and speaks from experience on many types of axes...his "go to" axe is the GB SFA.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

In my limited experience, axes are surpassed by saws when it comes to clearing roads, cleaning and small jobs. I enjoy using axes and have a hefty collection of modern axes but I find saws more practical and versatile. Not to say that axes don't have their place, mostly splitting though... My best axes have lugs, and consider them a must.

Update. This is perfect for putting on my pack and hiking. I went camping very cold and wet to Black Balsam Knob in NC over the weekend. Of all the things everyone brought this turned out to be the best thing. Without it we would have froze to death. Very capable axe and kept an edge through the whole weekend. Felling chopping and splitting. Does it all very well.
Definitely a do it all size. I have never bought into the short 20 -25 inch handles that most axe makers market as camping axes. 28-30 with a smallish to even a small head work great. Any shorter and they are downright dangerous to use limbing and chopping lengths. You have a Goldilocks size in my opinion.

Definitely a do it all size. I have never bought into the short 20 -25 inch handles that most axe makers market as camping axes. 28-30 with a smallish to even a small head work great. Any shorter and they are downright dangerous to use limbing and chopping lengths. You have a Goldilocks size in my opinion.

I whole heartedly agree. Definitely light enough and not to big fit perfectly on the side of my pack and same length as my pack. Plus any shorter and I may have put it into my leg vs the log. The edge held up so well after a full weekend of chopping and cutting that my buddy accidentally cut his hand on the edge while not paying attention while putting the sheath back over the edge. Never even needed to touch up the edge.

I like the handiness of a Scandinavian forest axe. I can comfortably use it with one or two hands. Feels more versatile than a small forest axe.

Ok so love the Helko Werks axe I got, but I would not want to pack in anything bigger than that and it is great for taking down anything. I could not resist trying something else though as a lighter pack camp axe alternative. This time I looked to Finland. The maker is Roselli. Apparently they make some of the hardest knives too. Their steel is in the 62-63HRC.
I ordered the R850 long handled axe which is till a short 18" handle. It has an interesting wedge designed head for splitting wood and can be used for carving or light work where you need to hold up by the head of the axe. It isn't here yet just ordered it yesterday.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I need to replace my inexpensive Ace Hardware axe... the handle broke and it isn't really worth re-handling. I have a small Gränsfors hatchet I used to use when I was a carpenter for various things... I did buy it from Lee Valley and it's amazing for what it is.

I suggest borrowing a few from friends to test ride, before going all in on a purchase. Axes can look great in a catalog or online but the head feel in actual use is what really matters. Two hours of swinging and chopping with an axe will tell you a lot about how the relationship will turn out.

I need to replace my inexpensive Ace Hardware axe... the handle broke and it isn't really worth re-handling. I have a small Gränsfors hatchet I used to use when I was a carpenter for various things... I did buy it from Lee Valley and it's amazing for what it is.
They make good shavers with some edge work. 😁

I suggest borrowing a few from friends to test ride, before going all in on a purchase. Axes can look great in a catalog or online but the head feel in actual use is what really matters. Two hours of swinging and chopping with an axe will tell you a lot about how the relationship will turn out.
Unfortunately and apparently the only ones people in the US buy are Gränsfors. I have tried them and they are nice, but nothing special. Just really good reliable fit and finish. They are not hand forged either. They are clearly open dye drop forged from scrap metal and I can not even find the Rockwell hardness scale rating for one. Correction found an article that stated it is 57HRC. It came from an old cache article I found that looks like it was copied from an old gransfors info so not sure if anything has changed on this over the years.

While Roselli spent decades perfecting two different types of steel to use in their knives and axes for different uses. They do keep that method a trade secret. They have a UHC Ultra High Carbon steel that is 62-63 HRC contains 1.8 - 2.0 % carbon and a Standard carbon steel with 0,8% carbon is anything but standard. This steel measures 60 HRC. This is what the axes are made from. It took me a bit to find a good price on one out of the US with free shipping. So it ends up being a lot cheaper then a Gransfors axe also.

I also perfer my Helko Werk to the Granfors. It is between the Forest axe and the felling axe in size and bites deeper, sticks less, removing larger pieces on each swing and is easier to sharpen.
The Roselli is about the size of the small Forest Axe. It is actually a bit shorter and lighter, but where you hold it based on handle design it is the same length from hand to top. It is only 740Grams yet the design makes it excellent at splitting wood.

Don't get me wrong. I like the Gransfors, but there are better options for less $ if you look and research enough and are willing to try out things that are really only popular in another country. I also don't like having the same thing as everybody else. Never have been that way.

Plenty of great axes available on the market. If you‘re looking for a working axe, I humbly suggest you stop by the local firehouse or wildfire fighting crew station to get their opinion on what works for hard use. They spend hours swinging axes under the the worst conditions without any regard to preserving the axe. If you’re looking for pretty and exclusivity the internet is loaded with options. Happy axe hunting.

Top Bottom