What's new

Hand File/Rasp Vs Belt Sharpener For Outdoor Tools

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
When sharpening outdoor tools, such as axes, hatchets, mower blades, etc., is there any reason to use hand files instead of a belt sharpener? I've heard a number of times that belt sharpeners can mess with the tempering of the steel, but don't know if that's just an old wives' tale. Obviously, a belt sharpener is a lot quicker, but I don't mind taking the time using hand files if they're considered superior. What are the advantages and disadvantages of both a belt sharpener and using hand files?

Legion

Staff member
The advantage of a file is you have more control, and you are more likely to hone evenly. The downside is it is a lot slower.

And yes, if you are not careful to keep the steel cool it is possible to damage the heat treat of steel with power grinders. Ask me how I know.

Usually I use a coarse/fine whetstone on outdoor tools.

Power tools are just fine, you do have to be careful about getting the blade too hot. Go slow and if you see any color change stop and and quench (cool it off with some water). Ideally you would grind a little and quench before seeing any color change. If you see blue it didn't hurt much, yellowish you are getting on thin ice and red you have officially messed that blade up. Google steel heat treatment colors. Once in a blue moon the ancient stuff I learned in trade school is worth something.

Depends on the edged tool and the place where I'm sharpening it. I have files, coarse, medium, and fine synthetic hones, diamond stick hones, a belt sander, a bench grinder, and a Work Sharp belt sharpener.

The files, diamond stick hones, and a medium axe puck probably get the most use, based on the tools I use and the miles from my shop or the power grid. The hand tools do give the most control in my experience. Avoiding overheating should be easy with the power tools, but vigilance is necessary.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Thanks, guys. I'll probably just keep using hand files for now. I don't mind taking a little more time and effort in sharpening tools if I know that the end result will probably be more uniform than using power tools.

I would say it depends on the quality of the tool and steel. I use the bastard file on the cheaper tools from the local hardware store with the crap metal. I would use a belt sander if I had one. On the higher end hand made good steel though I tend to use natural stones with water.

Wait people use files for mower blades and axe heads? I mean I'm old school but not that old school. If I were that old school I wouldn't have a riding mower. I use the bench grinder for mower blades and axe heads. The mower blades I grind away. I only sharpen once between blade changes anyway. They are disposable after all (unless you use a reel mower, then it would have to be a file). Most broad/splitting axe heads are softer carbon steel that might have a little heat treatment (and a whole lot of tempering) but I do go a little slow with the grinder just in case. Tomahawks and specialty hatchets may need more care. Shovels? Grind away. Briar knife/sling blade/bush axe (whatever you call it) I would grind but with the care of a specialty hatchet. Broad tools generally are sharpened on the bench grinder. Finesse tools such as knives and wood chisels are sharpened on hones. There's not a lot of in between to use a bastard or mill file on. At least in my household.

Top Bottom