What's new

Hammock and Water Thoughts

Doing a big family camping trip next week. I won't get into the annoyances other than I enjoy a primitive, minimal approach to camping, whereas my father-in-law and my wife could load a moving truck with everything they would want to bring along, and still have to choose what to take and what to bring. That, and I don't usually camp in hot weather.

The reason I mention those things is because 1) it is a hot weather trip, and 2) I am trying to update my personal gear anyway. For these reasons I am considering a hammock for sleeping. I have been thinking about this for a time now anyway. I have a GTX liner for my sleeping bag, and think combining this and the hammock might make a perfect warm weather sleeping combo, especially for packing.

Any thoughts on the hammock? Any suggestions on one? I was thinking just the simple $15 old school one would work perfect for a kit.

Also, in an effort to update, it occurred to me that I have only came close to need to draw from a natural water source one time when I got lost in the Rockies. Then I got to thinking that even so, it doesn't make sense to carry a bunch of just in case/reserve water in my pack if I don't need to. So I am now looking for a filter. I decided that tabs weren't my thing, but am getting some as a backup. Any suggestions on a filter?

Thanks

I started Hammock camping a couple of years ago, i'll never sleep on the ground again. HammockForums.net has alot of knowledge and info, and the members are very helpful and polite. That's where I started my research when I was considering the switch from a tent to hammock.

Good luck.
Jeff

I've got a hammock from ENO, the 'SingleNest' model. It weighs about 18 ounces and packs up to the size of a softball. The company also makes nylon straps that allow you to set up and take down the hammock in a matter of a minute or so.

I've found it to be wonderful to camp with, especially since it takes up little room in a pack. At first, I wasn't so sure that the material would be strong enough to hold up but that seems to be an unfounded fear now. That said, the hammock is more expensive than the $15 you speak of. They run in the $50 range and the straps (should you want them) are extra. I'm also not a hammock expert. I don't know a ton about them, just that I enjoy what I have.

I started Hammock camping a couple of years ago, i'll never sleep on the ground again. HammockForums.net has alot of knowledge and info, and the members are very helpful and polite. That's where I started my research when I was considering the switch from a tent to hammock.

Good luck.
Jeff

Wow, Jeff, thanks for that site address. A little overwhelming at first, but I'll get the info I need for sure.

I use a hammock for backpacking at times. I prefer the Hennessy Hammock style with the integrated mesh screen and enter from the bottom. Hammocks are about the perfect summer sleep solution for a single person. They start to suffer on the shoulder seasons as the warmth really gets sucked out from underneath you. The solutions to keep the system going can be quite bulky so it is a niche, summer product for me.

The thought process is different for hammocks than tents. You won't need a liner really and a quilt is much preferred, or a sleeping bag that can open as a quilt. If the nighttime temps drop much below 70F, you will need a pad inside the hammock to lie on. A dense but pretty wide thin blue foam pad maybe 0.25 inch is perfect. That will keep you comfortable probably to the mid to upper 50s. Otherwise, you can just feel all the heat getting sucked out from underneath you and into the air. On warm nights, obviously, no pad is needed. Check out the hammock forum linked above - more info than you could really want.

GL!

You're welcome. Be prepared for long nights on that site; researching, comparing, taking notes and watching videos. Overwhelming is right, take your time and I hope it works out for you.

I've got nothing for you on hammocks. As far as filters go I've been using a MSR/Sweetwater for about 15 years without ever getting sick. They include chlorine drops in case you run in to some seriously questionable water, but I usually skip those with backwoods flowing streams.

I bought my 5 hammocks in Lubbock Texas at a store named Green Eggs and Hammocks. They all work great. Still. I especially liked the big multi-person hammock. And we attached a pulley rope so that we could Swwwiiiinnnngggg. Fun.

I looked on line just now, and it looks like their store name has been usurped by a domain name usurper. So I could not find them online. That's a shame. They are still in business though and have a facebook page.

When sleeping in my hammock I usually cozy up with a sleeping bag. Wool works too.

Try and find some Eno's on sale at Gander Mountain, REI, or Dicks. For a bit more $$$ you'll get more room to accommodate different sleeping positions and help eliminate locked/hyper-extended knees.
If you go all-in, consider the Warbonnet Hammocks. I have the traveler model and its extremely comfortable.

BTW, If you decide to buy a Hammock and don't like it, you won't have a problem finding a buyer on hammockforum.net!

Last edited:
I use these drops as they are much lighter than a filter and work just as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Aquamira-Water-Treatment-Drops-1oz/dp/B000OR111G
they also come in tablets, don't have the nasty Iodine taste either.
http://www.amazon.com/Potable-Aqua-...8&qid=1339643962&sr=1-2&keywords=tablets+aqua

OK, so here is my questions about tabs/drops, for areas where old mining chemical runoff is a concern, do they do anything for that? That is my main reason behind thinking filter is best for me, and I haven't gotten an answer from buddies on that. I've seen screens for camelbacks, so that eliminates the floaty issue with tabs and drops, but I'm still worried about the mining runoff.

Thanks again for all the info, gentlemen. I had no idea yesterday morning that the hammock thing was so popular or extensive. It is very interesting for sure. We are moving for OH to NC in a month, which is both a reason I want to update my gear and also why I should watch what I spend right now lol.

I've used Aqua Mira drops for probably 12 years now. I use a light, foldable camp bucket to gather water. I will hang that off a limb and let it settle then people fill up their bottles and treat from that. That bucket is one of the most useful backpacking items I own. I used to use filters a long time ago (Pur Hiker), but they are heavy and prone to trouble, along with serious arm workouts. AM does not fail - no moving parts, simple and effective. I am pretty sure a filter is not going to catch mining run off chemicals nor would AM.

For that, you'd probably want a water purifier not a filter, its big and heavy. I'll post a link when I'm at a real computer, you'd probably want to rig up some activated charcoal in a bag to keep in your water bottle.

When I camp I use a hammock from an army surplus store ($10, 16 oz) and a homemade tarp made of silnylon (17 oz). It's my preferred setup.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Before you commit to a hammock camping trip, do a dry run in the back yard. Sleep in your hammock at home and if it doesn't work for you, no biggie... just go inside and into your bed. If it does work well for you, then you are good to go.

If you don't find two trees the right distance apart, you can use a long line on one end and prop that end of the hammoc up with two sturdy forked sticks. Or two stout unforked sticks lashed together near the top end. Like a bipod.

You're welcome. Be prepared for long nights on that site; researching, comparing, taking notes and watching videos. Overwhelming is right, take your time and I hope it works out for you.
Long nights is right. I was up way too late last night researching this stuff. I think I'm going to go with a cheap model for now, and make my own after we move. I've got everything I need to DIY a tarp, and should still have my skeeter net from the army that I have never used that I could rig something up with.

As far as water, is the mining runoff not that big of an issue? I never see anyone else mention it, and my buddies that are into this don't seem to worry about it.

Top Bottom