What's new

Hamburger Neck

2 shaves in with my R41 and my cheeks feel great! My neck, however, feels like freshly ground hamburger. :sad: I tried to be as conscious as possible about blade angle and using no pressure but my neck is TO' UP and it's not even as smooth as it would be with my 38c. It's a beautiful razor but I honestly do less damage with a straight.

Is my skin just too sensitive for this aggressive razor or should I just press on and pray it gets better?

I've had excellent results with the R41 with one WTG pass and one XTG, then small touch ups. I wouldn't venture ATG with it though, gives the feeling that it would be a blood bath. Definitely deserves patience and respect, and gives great shaves in return.

Takes a few weeks with proper technique for your face to adjust..then you can narrow down which blades 3+ shaves is a good way to rate your blades.. then comes aftershave( s) just my $.02

First time was an Astra. Second time I started with the same astra as yesterday but swapped out for a feather because I've seen people rave about em in the 41, it was marginally better (a lot less skipping though). Yesterday I lathered up with some new RazoRock tallow based croap I got in this mail this week, today with some santa maria novella. I don't even know how many passes I ended up doing, probably like 4 or 5 + touch up and some areas are still a little stubbly. I know for sure I did 2 north-south, 1 diagonal down, 1 diagonal up, and 1 south-north. Touch up consisted of 1 pass of chin to ear on the jaw line and 1 later pass goin toward my adam's apple No sting on the cheeks from the alum block, fair amount of sting on the neck. Same with the AS afterward. I know that's a lot of passes and probably a major source of the irritation but at the angle I was using it just wasn't cutting close enough. Any steeper and I could feel way too much blade and I know the irritation would have been worse.

I got a Merkur 12c the same time as I got the r41. Do you think spending some time with the 12c will help me understand the r41 better since the r41 is so different from the 38c? I'm totally confused as to why I'm having such a hard time with this particular razor... I thought since I spent over a year shaving with nothing but str8s it would be similar, but I guess not?

I made a mess with a Feather. I have much better luck with a Red in the R41.
I still have some work to do on my technique.

I have the propensity for bumps if I try to BBS on either side of the Adam's apple, so no ATG there for me. This razor constantly gave me bumps there regardless of direction, and even with a one pass shave.

Sounds like alot of passes. Do you lather or wet between each pass? Even on touch up you should have wet skin. The wetter and slicker the skin is, the less chance of having irritaion. Also, try a pre shave oil this helps me greatly.

Yup, I rinse and re-lather between each pass. The first time I used some Musgo real pre-shave oil. didn't use it the 2nd time. Didn't seem to make much difference either. I'm gonna try it a couple more times to see if it's just me but I'm really thinking my skin might just be too sensitive for this particular razor.

The amount of passes it's taking bothers me Arthur. Try when shaving to place the top of the head on the skin right above where you are going to shave. Rotate the razor down until you just feel the blade touch your skin. Then with no preasure at all, draw the razor slowly down. When going South to North do the same thing. I have a very thick and tough beard and must shave daily to have that clean look. Using this process usually requires only 2 passes and some touch up on my very odd chin region. Don't give up yet, maybe try this process with the 38c a few times and then transfer that technique to the R41. Good luck man!

With the R41 I just go WTG on the neck and its enough, takes it down well with a single, any more passes on my neck and I get diminishing returns with lots of burn and nicks. Its efficient don't need anymore then one pass on the neck.

A few things jump out at me. First, agree with the poster above that it seems like too many passes. Think about it. Everytime you scrape that blade across your skin you are cutting hairs and skin. Even with the lather acting as lubricant you are bound to irritate your skin. Especially if you are new and your pressure/technique is still improving. I'd cut back to three passes max!

Second, map your beard growth. If you know which way your hair is growing you can be a lot more efficient in cutting your beard hairs. This will also ultimately lead to fewer required passes and less irritation.

Pressure = zero, please.

Finally, continue to work on your lather. If you are new you are still far from making consistently good lather. We've all been there and months of practice are the only way to get to where you need to be. I have found that with GOOD lather and solid technique you will be 99% of the way there (blade and razor being the other 1%).

Good luck and keep at it!

I'm not really NEW, been working at this for a couple of years now, one full year spent on straight razors alone so as far as lather and pressure goes, I've pretty much got it. I really do think the r41 just isn't for me. I tried out the 12c I got in the same order today, loaded it with a blue 7 o'clock and went to town with some irisch moos. DFC, 1 weeper, very little sting with the alum block. Felt great! For now I'm just gonna shelf the r41, may end up putting it on the BST later. Thanks for the advice guys, I really wanted it to work so I could be one of the r41 cool kidz... lol

Cheers.

Top Bottom