What's new

Ham bone

So...in a dutch oven sauteed carrot slices, diced onion, diced celery in a little olive oil. Added ham bone. Then added a quart of chicken stock + bag of rinsed peas + a bay leaf. Then added almost a quart of water. Brought it to a light boil. Removed it from the heat, covered it tightly with foil & put a lid on the dutch oven. Then transferred it to a 325 oven.

2 1/2 hours later I removed the ham bone and bay leaf. Next I added back the meat from the bone and put it back in the oven for 30 minutes sans foil with the lid ajar. This allowed it to thicken a bit.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Smoked ham hocks for pintos.

That's how I like to do them, too, although I often go with smoked neck bones. Either way, they come out so dadgum good.

@Macfrommichigan, that's pretty close to how I like to do my split pea soup, too, except I usually leave out the chicken stock and make more of a stock from the ham bone (giving it a couple or few hours' head start). If I'm pressed for time, though, I'll get some stock from the freezer. I also hold off on adding the veggies until about 20-30 minutes before the soup is done (sauteed separately). A sprig of rosemary usually finds its way in there, too.

i've actually got navy beans soaking right now and ham bone cooking down in crock pot at home with a couple onions. Just started it this morning.

My wife usually corrals the ham bone for split pea soup. I would love to do a bean soup but she loves her split pea and I don't find it half bad.

I do make cast iron cornbread. I haven't tried it with split pea soup. Might be time to try that!

Top Bottom