What's new

Half Sour Pickles

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
Isn't easy to find good quality half sours at the supermarket level. When I lived in Boston I was happy with Ba Tampte half sours, but they aren't available out here in Ohio apart from at one international specialty food warehouse near Cincinnati. There's nothing like a bowl of half sours with a sandwich and coffee at lunchtime. Like being in a NY deli.

Anyone try Ba Tampte pickles? Other recommendations for pickles in general, and half sours in particular?

Owen isn't there some Amish community's in Ohio? It's hard to beat them small Amish stores for half sours. Here in Oklahoma i can pick them up by the gallon at Atwoods or Tractor Supply, both are farm and ranch stores 20200806_045600.jpg20200806_045514.jpg
The one on the left Best Maid are from Atwoods the upside down jug is homemade in the fridge

Last edited:

Owen Bawn

Owen isn't there some Amish community's in Ohio? It's hard to beat them small Amish stores for half sours. Here in Oklahoma i can pick them up by the gallon at Atwoods or Tractor Supply, both are farm and ranch storesView attachment 1135655View attachment 1135657
The one on the left Best Maid are from Atwoods the upside down jug is homemade in the fridge
There are 60k Amish in Ohio, though few right near me. There is an Amish farmers' market near me once a week. I'll have to walk through and see what I find. good tip- thanks!

Reactions: CCR

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I'm a big fan of Ba-Tampte pickles (mustard, too)! Fortunately, they aren't hard to come by around here.

Owen Bawn

This is one of my poor wife's nightmare scenarios:

"Why'd your husband suddenly quit a job that had lifetime tenure, great benefits, & plenty of time off each year, immediately put your house on the market, and drive away in the night?"

"Because he heard the pickles are better in Texas."

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
This is one of my poor wife's nightmare scenarios:

"Why'd your husband suddenly quit a job that had lifetime tenure, great benefits, & plenty of time off each year, immediately put your house on the market, and drive away in the night?"

"Because he heard the pickles are better in Texas."
If you want to get a feeling for Houston, pump 100 degree air into your shower. :)

Isn't easy to find good quality half sours at the supermarket level.
It sure is not! I think Ba Tampte is fairly available in the Washington, DC area, where I am, and to me their half sours are decent. Various grocery stores around here on an inconsistent basis seem to get fresh looking half sours in plastic containers kept in the fridge case that are quite good, but I cannot remember any brand names. Aldi of all places used to frequently have half sours that were also quite good. I do not think I have seen them for a while. It has been a while, but when I used to pass through Baltimore I would pick up a gallon jar of half sours, along with a lot of other Jewish deli stuff, from Attman's. They make them, I think on premises, and they were as good as any I have had. There is an Attman's fairly near me in Rockville, Maryland, but I do not see them listing half sours by the gallon on their menu.

I do not know why half sours are not more available. I like all kinds of pickles, but it is rare that I want to eat much in the way of dill pickles, yet they are everywhere.

Top Bottom