What's new

Hairs Keep Falling Out Out Of My Rooney

It's a small Rooney, super badger. Every time I shave, lately, an exponentially larger amount hairs fall out. Last time I shaved, at least 5 hairs must have fallen off.

Is this cause for concern?

I ring it out with cold water when I'm done with it, and store it bristles up. It's always a little moist when I put back on the shelf. I've done this for about a year, usually shaving once or twice a week.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
It's a small Rooney, super badger. Every time I shave, lately, an exponentially larger amount hairs fall out. Last time I shaved, at least 5 hairs must have fallen off.

Is this cause for concern?

I ring it out with cold water when I'm done with it, and store it bristles up. It's always a little moist when I put back on the shelf. I've done this for about a year, usually shaving once or twice a week.

Careful here, if you wring a brush, you will destroy it over time:eek:. You twist the hairs actually off, this is not a good practice!! A good brush should not loose that many hairs. I would expect such a quality brush maybe to loose a few hairs during the first uses, but then after five or six times of use, this should stop.
DO NOT WRING YOUR BRUSH OUT - THIS WILL DAMAGE IT!!!!

After use, wash the brush out under warm running water, gently massage out the left over soap or cream. Then shake out the water, and brush the brush over a towel. Then store your brush with the hair down, so it can dry properly.

How long have you had it? Most new brushes shed for the first 2-3 weeks. Thereafter, they hardly shed.

****. I've been wringing it and storing it bristles up. I heard storing it bristles up was a common practice. And I figured if its going to be bristles up, I should get all the water out so it doesn't seap into the knot.

If start storing it bristles down, and stop wringing it, is my brush salvagable?

Also, I really dont understand how you can get all the soap out without wringing it a little.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
****. I've been wringing it and storing it bristles up. I heard storing it bristles up was a common practice. And I figured if its going to be bristles up, I should get all the water out so it doesn't seap into the knot.

If start storing it bristles down, and stop wringing it, is my brush salvagable?

Also, I really dont understand how you can get all the soap out without wringing it a little.
Not sure if the brush is salvageable, you will find out if you use it the next few times. Maybe the damage done was not so much. Wringing the brush is wrong, I carefully squeeze the soap/cream residues out under running warm water and also "massage" - i.e. rubbing the hairs between my fingers to get everything out. All my brushes are treated this way and they have not lost any hair and do not show any soap/cream residue either. Just be gentle with them.

I don't wring it like a dish cloth. I gently grip the bristles in my fist, and squeeze the bristles until I see some soapy water emerge. In fact, I don't actually twist the bristles at all.

I have a 3/1 in Super that has shed 1-2 hairs every shave since I got it a couple of months ago.

I wonder if it is too late to return it....

A shame, because the brush really has started to grow on me!

I have a 3/1 in Super that has shed 1-2 hairs every shave since I got it a couple of months ago.

I wonder if it is too late to return it....

A shame, because the brush really has started to grow on me!

Interesting. My Rooney 1/2, which is about a month old, hadn't shed more than a hair or two total until today, when it let go of 25 or more. I e-mailed Jim at VB (who is a stand up guy if ever there was one, so that is not the issue here in any way shape or form), and he suggested that I comb it out to get rid of any loose hairs and keep an eye on it to make certain it doesn't become a regular thing.

I wonder if it's possible that Rooney had a bad batch of adhesive, since there seem to be a few of us who are running into this problem recently. BTW, none of my other brushes are shedders, so I don't believe this is a case of "operator error."

FWIW - people have been arguing the bristle up or bristle down drying method forever. There are many members that have had brushes for years using one method or the other (i.e., regardless of method the brushes have lasted years). I don't care which is "right" or which is "wrong", but in my opinion it doesn't seem to make a lick of difference.

I don't wring it like a dish cloth. I gently grip the bristles in my fist, and squeeze the bristles until I see some soapy water emerge. In fact, I don't actually twist the bristles at all.

if there's soapy water still coming out of it then you haven't rinsed it properly. Then hang it bristles down, if nothing else, and i know this is a contentious subject, it stops water pooling around the glued end.

Top Bottom