What's new

Haircuts

I am from the pampering school and will gladly part with £20 for an hour of attention and relaxation. Nice feeling to come out all nicely groomed. I only wish I had the guts to go the full monty and have the shave too. :scared:

I pay 10 dollars plus tip. I get a head and shoulder massage after the hair cut. They do that for all of their customers wether you get your hair washed or not.

11 bucks.

Is it possible to give yourself a haircut. This is going to sound nuts but I hate going to the barber. The local barber is an OK guy, I just hate going.

I always wanted to try that Flowby thing. I cut my own hair with clippers once and it was passable but I don't know much about cutting hair.

Another thing I've considered... shaving my head or going with a prison/military cut. I't probably look really cool with a goatee and moustache, too.

I was paying $6 plus a tip in Granada Hills, Ca. I moved in 2004 and it got to be a bit hard to get to that shop. Been doing my own since then.

G-House! You didn't happen to be seeing Rico, did you? He was on Balboa and Reseda. Had a good lookin' gal there too. But driving from Valencia to Granada Hills isn't hard at all... like 10 minutes on 5 to 118, no? Sometimes I wish I was back in Granada Hills.... it's been a long time since I've seen O'Melvany Park. I *really* love that place. Bigger than most people think.

$15 around my parts.

Dennis

Really? They do that in a barber shop? What does SWMBO think about that? :lol

I myself pay $15 with a $7 tip. Wash and cut. He's close to my house in my neighborhood and knows how to cut curly hair. I'd been to so many $35 to $100 (never paid that much) salons with people that were just out of their minds who I never had any connection with, and they didn't really do anything all that great. This guy offered to wash my hair no charge (that was an extra $20 elsewhere) he's down to earth and gives great advice :)wink:) it's never packed in there (just his chair-- no other barbers) and there's just a great relaxed old-fashioned feeling.

£20 well spent i'd say?

proxy.php
[/IMG]

Last edited by a moderator:
$15.00 plus tip at Great Cuts. This gal has been cutting my hair for 6 yrs. and she'll do it off hours at a shop close to where i live. My Godfaher was a barber and when i first started shaving he would give me a hot lather and sraight razor shave plus haircut for free! I really miss that.

G-House! You didn't happen to be seeing Rico, did you? He was on Balboa and Reseda. Had a good lookin' gal there too. But driving from Valencia to Granada Hills isn't hard at all... like 10 minutes on 5 to 118, no? Sometimes I wish I was back in Granada Hills.... it's been a long time since I've seen O'Melvany Park. I *really* love that place. Bigger than most people think.

Don't remember his name but he was an Italian from Argentina. Liked to Tango. Shop is on Chatsworth near White Oak. There was a Vet at the corner. At the time I lived on Zelzah above Rinaldi. It was a little bit of country in the city. Since I moved, they put in street lights, and the stables are gone.:frown:

I get the John Edwards special...:biggrin:

...just kiddin'

$10 at my local barber who's older than everybody on this board combined.

...snip...However, he has so much business, you can wait up to an hour. ....snip

Same way with the place I go to. That's why when I do go, it's usually on a Saturday morning, I pour myself a double Americano in a travel mug and get there by 7:45. h eopens at 8 so I'm almost always 1st in line and never more than 3rd. So with the barber and 3 girls, I never have to wait.

However, by the time I leave there, there's 8 or 10 people there gossiping.

Don't remember his name but he was an Italian from Argentina. Liked to Tango. Shop is on Chatsworth near White Oak. There was a Vet at the corner. At the time I lived on Zelzah above Rinaldi. It was a little bit of country in the city. Since I moved, they put in street lights, and the stables are gone.:frown:

Yeah, the development machine just keps on marching through North Valley. I used to live up by Jolette and Sesnon... they always said they were going to complete Sesnon all the way to Porter Ranch, but they hadn't for like 20 years. Well, it looks like they finally got their asses in gear. Damn shame too-- that's a nice, quiet neighborhood and it's not going to be when that's completed. This is where I used to live, and much like you, I had a nice quiet area to roam around in. Great place, Granada Hills... at least what I remember of it. Did you know Sylmar used to have the world's largest olive groves? Crazy, huh?

/thread jack

Haircut with quick wash, +every other visit my barber uses freehand razor technique to thin out the hair.
In and out in 30 minutes = $20
I consider this a steal for such a quality haircut. (not to mention the rarity of freehand razor technique around here at least)

*by freehand I mean that the non-razor hand is not holding any hair for the cut... (In talking to other coworkers claiming to get razor cut, this distinction was made apparent, everyone I talk to who has had razor work, the barber was holding the shock of hair when the actual cutting took place) -maybe the technique is razor and comb... visually somewhat looks like a drumming motion. Razor downstroke in the right hand as the comb in the left hand is traveling the upstroke. Impressive to watch. :)

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Wow, wine, women and hair cut..can't beat that i guess.:biggrin:

Traditional barbershop!

Which is where I have had mine cut since highschool (when I convinced my parents that they weren't really up to the task ... :scared: )

Traditional barbershops in my neck of the woods is 12.00-15.00 + tip. (every 2 weeks for me)
Here its 29.00 to start but you will be lucky to leave with a farthing in your pocket.

$13 + $2 tip. Sometimes they shave my neck, sometimes not. I figure if they're not in the mood to get out the straight razor, then I'd better not ask!

I use an open comb Gillette to do the back of my neck. I try to keep the head at 90 degrees. Keeps the curls and excess growth down.

Top Bottom