What's new

Hair Tonic Noob

Basically, I have no clue abour hair tonic and no clue if it is for me.

I use a gel every day to keep my hair "in place". I dont want a high shine kr a wet look if possible. I have thinning hair but have always had thin hair that blows all over. I have looked on this aite as well as Amazon amd see Ruezel has a big following. Do I just need to purchase the grooming tonic and a hair tonic amd see what works for me?

Any advice would be great!!

KM

I've used tonics for years and there's only one answer to your question: it depends.
There are a variety of tonics out there and the only way you'll find something that works for you is to experiment with different ones and find one that works best for you.
Some have oil(s) in them and that may give you a wetter look than you want. Some are very light but may not help with a lot of control. Most of these products are very reasonable in price and can be found easily - even at drug stores. I've found that just using conditioner instead of shampooing a lot calms hair down and makes it very obedient. So again, it just depends. All you can do is try some different products and see what works for you. Think of it as a science project and try for an A!

Yes, you have to just try them. There are generally 2 types: with oil and without. I have heard some people use the with oil during winter when air is dry and without during summer. I have been using Clubman Quinine for decades. I use it and a dollop of gel or cream.

Hair tonic is there to make your hair easier to style and provides a light hold. It may make your scalp feel nice and refreshed when rubbed on. You can have it with or without oil. The kind with oil provides a bit more hold and some sheen. Modern products like hair gel have more or less replaced hair tonic for most people.

I like using hair tonic because it can be a very lightweight product that just disappears after a short while, leaving the hair looking neat.

I can't get in now but Boots the chemist here in UK did a really nice Bay rum hair tonic. Dont forget you could try the old staple of Brylcreem. A little dab will do you.

I have fine hair and struggled for years swiping my hair out of my vision, I wear it parted off to the side. I since discovered thanks to this site, Lucky Tiger hair tonic and wow what a game changer. I use a small (nickel size puddle) after a shower and towel dry then style. It holds the hair all day and doesn’t clump up, its very natural looking. After almost a year I still have over half of the 16 oz bottle so it’s very economical to use.

Interesting and informative thread. Now for a twist ... what would you all recommend for longer (shoulder length), fine hair?

Top Bottom