What's new

Hair Tonic Help

So as the title suggests, I know nothing about hair tonics and would appreciate some advice :)
Basically, due to a mix between stress and dry air, I have been getting a lot of dandruff lately. I was able to reduce it by only using shampoo once every 2-3 days, however it is still not eradicated. I have also been growing out my hair for the first time in years and would like something to just keep it looking in shape, as it is currently not long enough to effectively style with products such as pomade.
Recently, I visited my barber and he recommended I start to use hair tonic. His reasoning was that it would provide my scalp with all the oils and nutrients it needs, cure the dandruff, while also making my hair look more voluminous and stronger. When I asked him what to go for, he told me that they are all the same though. After some research I tend to disagree.
I am currently looking at Tabac hair tonic, however am not sure if I should get the version with oil, or without, as the oil version might be better for the scalp, but I do not want to walk around with oily shining hair.
What do you guys think on the topic? All general recommendations will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Alex

I've used hair tonic most of my life. All tonics are NOT the same. The only way to decide which works best for you is to experiment with them. What works perfectly for one person may not be at all what you want or like. Everyone's hair, like other features, is different. Fortunately, there are many varieties of products to choose from in this arena.

One of your first decisions to make is whether you want a hair product that is visible. There are some very light tonic products you could use that have little visibility. Others are quite visible in terms of a wet or shine look. You'll need to experiment with this and see what you like best. How often you wash it out is also another determinate - some guys will wash product out every day and others leave it in and add more for several days. Experimentation is the only way to figure this out.

A light tonic? Vitalis comes to mind and it's very easy to find. Jeris makes another light one that is also easy to find. Heavier ones that are common tonics like Vaseline, Tres Flores, Jeris with oil, Lucky Tiger, etc. are also easy to locate locally or order. I've never used Tabac but it's been around for a while. Good luck!

I would be wary of any claims of hair tonics to cure dandruff. The claims I've seen on vintage bottles are laughable to-day. I've used the light tonics, without oil, and I find they provide virtually no hold, body, shine, or any other thing of value except that they smell good. I liken them to putting after-shave on the hair, and the scent doesn't last either.
They also contain alcohol, which tends to dry the hair and scalp and plays havoc with coloured hair.
The heavy ones with oil are a different animal. They do impart hold, body and shine, but they're oily. I would feel the need to wash my hair every night before bed if I used them.
My best advice would be to eliminate your dandruff by using a dandruff shampoo, and consider hair tonics as merely a hair dressing.
I didn't know Tabac made hair "tonics," but I've used their hair creme (in a tube) and like it. Cremes are light, if used judiciously, and can be applied to the hair without getting it on the scalp. They provide hold, body and shine without oiliness.

Thanks for the reactions, they have been helpful. What both of you said actually makes a lot of sense and sound much more believable, compared to all the wonder descriptions I'm reading online.
I was also considering the Tabac hair cream, however I gave up on the idea, as I presumed it would give me an oily look that doesn't fit the relatively short length of my hair. However, your statement that it is a "light" creme might make me reconsider. The problem is that there is nearly no consumer information about Tabac hair products online and I am just going at it with blind faith, due to the brand loyalty I have for them after using the shaving soap.
Another product I am currently contemplating over is matte paste.
If anyone has any other suggestions for substitutes that they feel would work better for me, I'm all ears haha.
Thanks again!

Thanks for the reactions, they have been helpful. What both of you said actually makes a lot of sense and sound much more believable, compared to all the wonder descriptions I'm reading online.
I was also considering the Tabac hair cream, however I gave up on the idea, as I presumed it would give me an oily look that doesn't fit the relatively short length of my hair. However, your statement that it is a "light" creme might make me reconsider. The problem is that there is nearly no consumer information about Tabac hair products online and I am just going at it with blind faith, due to the brand loyalty I have for them after using the shaving soap.
Another product I am currently contemplating over is matte paste.
If anyone has any other suggestions for substitutes that they feel would work better for me, I'm all ears haha.
Thanks again!
You may be able to find discussions about Tabac Hair Creme on this forum, God knows there's enough talk about their soap! Anyway, it's a white creme in a tube and has a very pronounced scent of Tabac to it, so you have to like the scent, first of all. I described it as light because I only use a pea-sized amount to dress my short hair. The more you use, the heavier it will be. It does contain oil, but it's not heavy like Brylcreem or Alberto VO-5. More like skin creme, just a tad heavier.
The ingredients are:
water, mineral oil, glyceryl ricinoleate, triceteareth-4 phosphate, trilaureth-4 phosphate, fragrance, micro-crystalline wax, limonene, methylparaben, sorbic acid, hydroxycitronellal, linalool, citronellol, alpha-isomethylionone, benzyl salicylate, coumarin, citral, isoeugenol, geranol, benzylbenzoate, amylcinnamal, bht.
Boy...sounds scary, doesn't it?
The creme will add control, shine, and weight to the hair in proportion to the amount used.
I'm surprised you would be considering matte paste, as it is a stiffer product. Perhaps not oily per se, but it will make you hair rigid. It's great for a strong hold without shine, but its not light.

I have short hair and occasionally use a tonic.

For me the Vitalis works best but the scent is too strong for me. I use the barber shop version called Beau Kreml.

I use it mostly when Winter sets in and the air is dry. It works a treat to keep my hair from being fly away and it keeps it in place.

How I apply it is to cup my hand and add a little water from the faucet then splash in a little tonic mix and apply. Then I comb.

When my hair is dry about an hour later I comb it again and it stays in place. No wisps of hair falling on my forehead from the comma hairstyle. Keeps my hair moisturized a bit.

My only suggestion is to mirror the advice given upstream in this thread. Try a bunch and see what works for you.

Chris

Thanks to all for the advice. After reading everyone's thoughts on the topic, I've reached the conclusion that I will really just have to buy all the products and see what works for me. I'll make sure to post an update of the results.

So on Monday afternoon I went to the store and purchased the Tabac "dry" hair tonic. Here are my initial thoughts.
As I was first applying it, I immediately remembered the comment of razorboi who likened it to after-shave for the head. It's holding power is non-existent. However, that does not mean that it does not have other benefits.
the way my hair looks is transformed. It is much more tidy, no loose hairs sticking out, it has a very healthy looking subtle gleam to it, and most importantly, my dandruff disappeared without a trace. Three people have asked me already If I got a haircut, and after trying the product ordered it themselves.
I found that what works best for me, is applying generous amounts once my hair is dry after a shower. I do not know if there is anything wrong with that, as most recommendations are for applying it while the hair is still moist.
10/10 will buy another hair tonic. It would probably be a different one though, as I cannot say that I am particularly fond of the scent (even though I really like the Tabac shaving soap scent) and just love to experiment with this type of stuff.

So on Monday afternoon I went to the store and purchased the Tabac "dry" hair tonic. Here are my initial thoughts.
As I was first applying it, I immediately remembered the comment of razorboi who likened it to after-shave for the head. It's holding power is non-existent. However, that does not mean that it does not have other benefits.
the way my hair looks is transformed. It is much more tidy, no loose hairs sticking out, it has a very healthy looking subtle gleam to it, and most importantly, my dandruff disappeared without a trace. Three people have asked me already If I got a haircut, and after trying the product ordered it themselves.
I found that what works best for me, is applying generous amounts once my hair is dry after a shower. I do not know if there is anything wrong with that, as most recommendations are for applying it while the hair is still moist.
10/10 will buy another hair tonic. It would probably be a different one though, as I cannot say that I am particularly fond of the scent (even though I really like the Tabac shaving soap scent) and just love to experiment with this type of stuff.
Glad you're pleased with it, and even surprised that it was effective on dandruff. Perhaps it's simply the alcohol content. I don't believe you would have got the same results from a cream, because it doesn't really get on the scalp much during application unless one makes the effort to rub it in. I find the scent of the Tabac hair creme stronger than the soap, and it stays with you all day long. It can get a little sickening after a while. Don't know if the tonic is the same.

So many options!

My personal preference is to have ‘oil’ as one of the ingredients. Oil-free tonics simply don’t work for me.

Top Bottom