What's new

Hair Tonic Advice

In the mood to get some DR Harris Portugal hair tonic but have no clue about the oil ingredient. Which do you prefer - with oil or without? And why?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have not used D R Harris hair tonics but some I have used, such as Tabac, have offered an oil or oil free version. In that case I opted for the oil version as my hair is quite dry and grey; I found the oil version can slightly darken the hair and give it more gloss. If I had long hair I would consider the oil free version as I would fear the oil version may make the hair look greasy. Incidentally, the Tabac tonic was terrible, I now use vintage Yardley or Cussons Imperial Leather tonics, or Tres Flores pomade or brilliantine which smells delightful but is hard to obtain in the UK.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
I'm not a hair tonic afficianado, but I have used Pinaud Clubman Eau de Portugal. I find it leaves my hair looking as if it needs to be washed again. So...not familiar with DR Harris, but I would lean towards the no oil option. Good luck!

This really depends on the situation. If you use pomades, hair tonic can be used to "reactivate" the pomade and you would not want oil for that.

If your hair is damp after a shower and you just want it to stay in place without strong hold, an oil-free tonic may be just the thing.

The "with oil" versions will vary in heaviness from different makers. A very light amount of oil will add sheen and some control and should wash out easily. Too much oil and you'll feel like you're back in the 1950s.

Oil makes hair look oily, not good. Hair tonics without oil are useless, it’s just water and alcohol, both evaporate away.

Hair pomades (gels, waxes whatever) are much more useful. They all have similar effects, any one will do. The key is the amount used, this is where the differences are. Start with very little, it’s usually more than enough for a natural but well-behaved look. Increase depending on hair type and effect sought.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Oil makes hair look oily, not good. Hair tonics without oil are useless, it’s just water and alcohol, both evaporate away.

Hair pomades (gels, waxes whatever) are much more useful. They all have similar effects, any one will do. The key is the amount used, this is where the differences are. Start with very little, it’s usually more than enough for a natural but well-behaved look. Increase depending on hair type and effect sought.
A little dab'll do ya.

Oil makes hair look oily, not good. Hair tonics without oil are useless, it’s just water and alcohol, both evaporate away...
Not exactly. 👨‍🏫

Some oil-free pomades also contain moisturizing ingredients, similar to a hair conditioner. They add a small amount of hold if applied when the hair is damp. They may have a bit of scent. These tonics also can have some refreshing menthol which feels good when rubbed into the scalp.

Not exactly. 👨‍🏫

Some oil-free pomades also contain moisturizing ingredients, similar to a hair conditioner. They add a small amount of hold if applied when the hair is damp. They may have a bit of scent. These tonics also can have some refreshing menthol which feels good when rubbed into the scalp.
Maybe, I would use aftershave in that case, it’s comparable in most cases.

So, does anyone have any experience with this DR Harris Portugal hair tonic? This is all really helpful and I love the dialogue, but I'm coming from this:

1673899710501.png

and this:
1673899843326.png

So...I like the hold of Clubman and the mosturizing of V05, but I'm not sure about the oil on Harris. Is it like this stuff?
1673899943249.png

Attachments

• 1673899767342.png
    1673899767342.png
    224.5 KB · Views: 4
Not sure how helpful this will be but perhaps... I've used the D.R. Harris eau de Portugal in the past - it has a distinctive scent that I recall is similar to citrus scents. I think it has lemon oil in it along with other some other oil(s) - I recall orange, too. Using it in the without-oil version gives you little but the scent. The with-oil version has the potential for wet hair if you use enough. I haven't used it in years, however. The TresFlores you show above is really nothing but mineral oil, colouring and a fragrance. It has good hold if you use a good bit but it's very wet-looking. The best suggestion I can give is just to buy them and try them out yourself - the D.R. Harris version is a bit pricier than some of the others but there are several eau de Portugals out there.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
If you like the hold of a gel, I doubt you will like a "hair tonic" type of liquid, with or without oil.

UNLESS you have hair that is wavy and you don't typically have any problem keeping your hair in place. Then a liquid may be just what you need.

I have the DR Harris Eau de Portugal, but prefer the Vines Vintage version. I also enjoy the Reuzel hair tonic. They allow easy brushing with a great scent if you just used water instead...

I haven't used the DR harris with oil, but I have used the Jeris with oil. I've also used multiple others, Reuzel hair tonic and grooming tonic, jack&dean, clubman, osage rub, byrd surf spray.
The tonics without oil hold just fine. Once your hair dries it stays quite well in place, it just looks like normal hair.
Reuzel holds quite good.
Jeris with oil holds good, but without oil holds fine too, just looks less product-y.
Osage rub has the least hold of them all
Reuzel grooming tonic holds the best out of them all as it dries much like the clubman styling gel you have.
The DR harris is expensive though so if I were you, I'd try the Jeris with oil first because it's about a third of the price.

I have the DR Harris Eau de Portugal, but prefer the Vines Vintage version. I also enjoy the Reuzel hair tonic. They allow easy brushing with a great scent if you just used water instead...
The Pinaud Oil de Portugal has orange peel oil in it. it isn't greasy of you don't overdue it, does a fair job of holding hair, and dries to a very light scent that most of the fair sex seem to like.

Top Bottom