What's new

hair razor

Hi, new to forums, pretty impressed too. Anyway, I cut my own hair, but it's only been with scissors up until now, and I want to start using a razor. Not sure if anyone knows, but do they use the same straight razor or do they use something else? And where can I get one in Toronto if anyone knows?

Thanks.

You could use a straight, but most stylists use a razor with a guard often referred to as (just to add more confusion) a Feather razor. Yep, they make those as well.

You should be able to get one from Toronto Barber & Beauty Supply. Go for a less expensive model like one from Dannyco.

I'd be remiss if didn't say I don't recommend this. Good luck.

Les

As a licensed barber and cosmetologist I will say it's a bad idea to cut your own hair and an even worse idea to do it with a razor. Actually to perform a razor cut on yourself is near impossible because of the limitations of human anatomy! Your arms simply are not long enough to move properly if you are trying to do it right.
I usually use a regular straight for haircutting but you can get an inexpensive hairshaper that uses persona hairshaper blades for under $10. The Feather hairshaper is highly overrated btw.

Actually to perform a razor cut on yourself is near impossible because of the limitations of human anatomy! Your arms simply are not long enough to move properly if you are trying to do it right.

That's funny because I have been successfully shaving my hair with an electric razor for over 10 years, and it is perfectly even :).. and I don't even have long arms.
Also have done it with a multi-blade razor about 30 times as well, but it's much easier with electric.

That's funny because I have been successfully shaving my hair with an electric razor for over 10 years, and it is perfectly even :).. and I don't even have long arms.
Also have done it with a multi-blade razor about 30 times as well, but it's much easier with electric.

There is a big difference between shaving your head and performing a razor cut.
apples and oranges!
The OP said that he cut his own hair with scissors and wanted to try cutting it with a razor. He never said anything about shaving his head, which you cannot do with scissors. The technique of cutting hair with a razor is very different than cutting hair with scissors.

Last edited:

My impression is that we're talking about razor cutting hair, not shaving heads. Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my initial post and apologize for any confusion.

Like Waterbear, I'm also a licensed barber and agree completely with his statement.

I mentioned Dannyco hairshapers as these are the low end equivalent of the over rated Feather that are most commonly available and most often used in The Great White North. They're probably made by Persona and re-branded for Dannyco.

Certain types of hair don't respond well to razor cutting, gspot, and I'd really hate to see you take a chance on this one. One thing we both neglected to mention is that if you are going to do it, make sure your hair is wet. I won't speak for Waterbear, but I've never seen any type of hair that responed well to a razor when it was dry.

Les

My impression is that we're talking about razor cutting hair, not shaving heads. Perhaps I wasn't very clear in my initial post and apologize for any confusion.

Like Waterbear, I'm also a licensed barber and agree completely with his statement.

I mentioned Dannyco hairshapers as these are the low end equivalent of the over rated Feather that are most commonly available and most often used in The Great White North. They're probably made by Persona and re-branded for Dannyco.

Certain types of hair don't respond well to razor cutting, gspot, and I'd really hate to see you take a chance on this one. One thing we both neglected to mention is that if you are going to do it, make sure your hair is wet. I won't speak for Waterbear, but I've never seen any type of hair that responed well to a razor when it was dry.

Les

NOPE, not at all! A cutting lotion is even better than water but unless you have a barber supply you can get it from it's not something you will find at the drugstore.

I have had many 'razor' cuts and love em if you are going for a high texture look. I would leave it the the pros...there is lots of skill involved here. Why not just have a professional do it? Money thing?

Totally money thing. And I'm never really satisfied when it's cut by someone else. I've seen some videos and read some tutorials on it, so I have an idea of how to do it. If anything, it seems easier than scissors due to one hand being better with scissors than the other, but with a razor, it seems to be the same. So back on topic, what razor do you guys suggest I use?

Trust me, a razor cut is MUCH harder to do than a scissor cut! As far as one hand being better with the scissors than the other...you only use one hand to hold the scissors, you don't switch them from hand to hand! If you are doing that you are not cutting properly.
THAT is one of the reasons why it is really impossible to cut your own hair.
I was a barber and cosmetology instructor and I have taught a LOT of people how to cut hair but I will not help someone self mutilate themselves with a razor.
NO matter what you may think, it is NOT possible to properly cut your hair yourself and it does not look anywhere near as good as you might think it does!
It's just self delusion.
The closest I would recommend would be to get yourself a clipper and a bunch of guides and have someone else do it for you. That is the most likely way you will get a somewhat passable home haircut.

NO matter what you may think, it is NOT possible to properly cut your hair yourself and it does not look anywhere near as good as you might think it does!
It's just self delusion.

Again, I agree completely with Waterbear. I got tired of guys showing up in my chair because they/their wife/their girlfriend/ tried to cut their hair. Then they expected me to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t and weren't happy with the result. Big news - it's a lot easier to take hair off than put it back on. They probably went home and tried to "improve" the cut again. The last guy who came in had tried to cut his own hair and then complained about how long it was taking me to try to give him something half decent. His haircut ended really fast. I refer to him as "the last guy" because I don't do it anymore.

Cutting hair isn't rocket science but doing it well does require a skill set. What's next? Pulling your own teeth?

If you still think you want to do this there's already more than enough information on this thread to get you going. Just read it.

Les

Again, I agree completely with Waterbear. I got tired of guys showing up in my chair because they/their wife/their girlfriend/ tried to cut their hair. Then they expected me to make chicken salad out of chicken s**t and weren't happy with the result. Big news - it's a lot easier to take hair off than put it back on. They probably went home and tried to "improve" the cut again. The last guy who came in had tried to cut his own hair and then complained about how long it was taking me to try to give him something half decent. His haircut ended really fast. I refer to him as "the last guy" because I don't do it anymore.

Cutting hair isn't rocket science but doing it well does require a skill set. What's next? Pulling your own teeth?

If you still think you want to do this there's already more than enough information on this thread to get you going. Just read it.

Les

Hear hear!:thumbup1:

Les

I did read it. First someone said that I could use a straight razor, but feathers were more common. Then someone says feathers are overrated. So you can understand why I would want more opinions. Anyway, I am sensing a lot of negativity here. Too hostile for me, to be honest. I just came on to ask what I should be using and about the different kinds of razors, not whether I should/shouldn't be doing it myself. So thank you for your responses, and if it's possible, please close this thread. See you guys around sometime.. hopefully when things become more positive.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
Top Bottom