What's new

Hair product for Thick short hair

I typically use American Crew Fiber or KMS molding paste since I have thick but short hair (3-4 inches) that tends to stick up in parts if I don't use product. I don't like oily products because my hair gets oily enough on its own. I have been reading through the threads and read about pomades but I thought I would need more of paste or wax. Are they all the same thing? What would you recommend that doesn't make your hair look or feel greasy? Typically gels are unable to keep my hair set for long periods of time. Although, I have used Charlie Dapper's gel product which did work but I also used some of their pomade along with it. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

This is going to blow your mind. Try rubbing your alum block in your hair while it is still damp and style it from there.

I typically use American Crew Fiber or KMS molding paste since I have thick but short hair (3-4 inches) that tends to stick up in parts if I don't use product. I don't like oily products because my hair gets oily enough on its own. I have been reading through the threads and read about pomades but I thought I would need more of paste or wax. Are they all the same thing? What would you recommend that doesn't make your hair look or feel greasy? Typically gels are unable to keep my hair set for long periods of time. Although, I have used Charlie Dapper's gel product which did work but I also used some of their pomade along with it. Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Search "Thickening Fiber Paste" on Amazon. There are several companies making this product. The product is somewhere between styling cream and pomade. It is water wash out. This is a great product for the people that don’t have a full on pomp. My style is a side part business cut with little shine. I also had a hair bend problem from my CPAP mask bands. The fiber paste fixed everything, CPAP and cow lick.

I apply a very small amount to my finger tips and warm it up. I can feel it stiffing up. Massage into hair and see the rise in body. Comb to style. The scent is very mild with a low shine. My hair is super soft after application and holds in place all day. Only a little settling is noticed at the end of the day.

Suppliers; Cremo, Smooth Viking , Baxter, Layrite. Baxter and Layrite(blue) don't advertise the fiber content, but looks like they have the wax part down.

I would go with Baxter of California Clay pomade for short, thick hair. You need something that is firm enough to control your hair, and a paste is NOT going to be strong enough. B of C Clay is perfect. I'm not a huge fan of most of the clays, because many of them are weak, but Baxter of California Clay is the perfect clay in my opinion. I love that stuff.

I would go with Baxter of California Clay pomade for short, thick hair. You need something that is firm enough to control your hair, and a paste is NOT going to be strong enough. B of C Clay is perfect. I'm not a huge fan of most of the clays, because many of them are weak, but Baxter of California Clay is the perfect clay in my opinion. I love that stuff.
Hello David
Can you talk a little on the fiber/paste type creams? I really like them, but don't really know anything about this category.

Hey MM879, I don't know a great deal about this category of hair products. I only have a couple of paste products, Baxter of California Paste and TIGI Bedhead Molding paste. I like them both, but they're on the weak side without the hold that Baxter of California Clay pomade gives me. I have a number of clays, and I like them much better than the pastes. I've got thick hair, so the pastes aren't strong enough for my hair. They're good for the messy hair look, but I can get the same look using a ton of different products that sell for cheaper. I've never purchased a cream before, but I've seen a lot of videos on them. They give a loose hold and decent shine, but they're somewhat expensive for what they actual do. They're easy to wash out compared to the oils pomades, but the cost a lot more too. If I had thinner hair, I would definitely look at using a paste and potentially one of the creams. I like using a lot of different old school products though. I don't know if I would ever stick it out with one of those products, even if I had thinner hair.

As far as Scout 21 goes, it sounds like he needs a product with a firm hold. That would be Baxter of California Clay pomade. It would be perfect that type of hair. Personally, I was skeptical before I used Baxter Clay. Like a lot of people, I'd heard a lot about the product, but I didn't know if it just hype or if the stuff was really good. When I did finally use Baxter's clay, I was incredibly impressed with it, and I still am to this day. I'm able to mix Baxter's Clay with my oil based pomades to create incredible looks that I couldn't do with them alone. When I just use Baxter's California Clay by itself, I almost get too much volume for my hair. That product is so creating creating volume. I have to tone it down by throwing an oil based pomade like Murray's Superior on top of it to get the volume to decrease. If I had thinning hair, Baxter of California Clay would be my savior. It has a way of making hair stand up and look fuller. For me, that's the last thing I need, as I have tons of hair, and it creates a giant James Dean pompadour each time I use it.

Hello David

Thank you for the detailed reply. I stumbled on the fiber/paste category and didn't know if it was a pomade or not. My hair is straight fine and lots of it. I need the body that this product provides. Your information on the Baxter's of California is perfect for me. The JOCOTT product I got on clearance is probably out of production. I am going to order some of the Baxter's and give it a try. It looks like a high quality product. The Baxter descriptions fit my needs to a tee. It is amazing how many different product descriptions there are for pomades and styling products. I don't think that I could ever got it right without experienced help. Thanks again. Matt

I have thick, straight,somewhat course short hair that has a tendency to stick up. I tried clays but my hair felt dirty by the end of the day. I use a small amount of pomade on slightly damp hair to smooth it and keep it down without making it hard like a gel does. It works for me but your hair may like something different. I use Jax.

Top Bottom