What's new

Hair Conditioner as Shaving Cream

Some of you mention bar soap. Does that not leave the skin quite dry? I've always understood hand/body soap to be too strong for facial skin. Or is it just a "in a pinch" type of thing?

Don't know if I've just discovered something everyone else already knew about, but on a tip, I tried some hair conditioner as a shaving cream and it worked remarkably well! Even lathered up! One less thing I need to bring on trips. I'll just use the hotel's conditioner to shave with. :)
Learned something today. Thanks for the post.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
Yes, it is slick. To me the question on a hobbyist forum is not "Does it work?" or even "Does it work extremely well?" but "Does it enhance my shaving experience?" I shall stick to working a good face lather with MdC Fougere using a Kent BK4 or a Chubby 1 in best.

I've shaved with both hair conditioner as well as bar soap in a pinch, of the two conditioner is slicker. I much prefer my brush and soaps and would always use them if I had a choice.

Some of you mention bar soap. Does that not leave the skin quite dry? I've always understood hand/body soap to be too strong for facial skin. Or is it just a "in a pinch" type of thing?
Yardley soaps are tallow based and lather up well, they didn't dry my face as much as Ivory soap. I think the drying really depends on your skin type, give it a shot and see what you think.

I experimented a while back with using hair conditioner as a pre-shave but I was a little gobsmacked when I watched the video and saw he was actually lathering the conditioner in bowl. I was so shocked I immediately went into my bathroom Shaving Den of Iniquity and tried this myself, using the TRESemmé conditioner we have. I had to play around with the water/conditioner ratio but, in less than two minutes, I had what I would consider entirely acceptable looking shaving lather. Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked, but I really am. I'm going to try shaving with this tomorrow out of sheer curiosity.
[/QUOTE

So how did it go?

I've just stopped using hair conditioner as a preshave, because I've always only used it like that.

Too early to decide if I'm better off with or without.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
I sometimes add a dollop of conditioner to my lather as I am building it. Seems to help. I think.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
A while ago I found that a few drops of hair conditioner applied to my whiskers before applying the Arko shaving stick helped. As my SR technique improved I found that there was no need for it - still SR shaving with my Arko.

Maybe if I went back to DE razor shaving it might be different. I am too scared to DE shave now as I can't see where the edge of the blade is. DE shavers are the real men!

I just tried Tres Semme "silky smooth" conditioner as preshave. The second ingredient is dimethicone.

. . .What a smooth feeling!

Then I found this thread. I see I'm not the first person to stumble into this. I'll have to try it in uberlather next.

. Charles

I sometimes use hair conditioner as a pre shave in the shower. Works great!
Same here, though shampoo seems to work better for me than conditioner. It's kind of odd that i use shampoo on my beard but not my hair. It's been about ten years since I used soap of any kind in my hair.

I can only imagine that most people in this thread do not live with any leg shavers. My wife and daughter have been using hair conditioner exclusively for shaving their legs in the shower for years. I also use hair conditioner while travelling - I have learned to pack as light as possible.

Top Bottom