What's new

Hair Conditioner as Shaving Cream

Don't know if I've just discovered something everyone else already knew about, but on a tip, I tried some hair conditioner as a shaving cream and it worked remarkably well! Even lathered up! One less thing I need to bring on trips. I'll just use the hotel's conditioner to shave with. :)

Yup. Conditioner works just fine. For that matter, the little hotel bar soap will do just fine. Even the brush is largely unnecessary.

It's fun to overcomplicate shaving when we have the luxury of time in our own shave den, but pretty much anything slippery can give you a good, irritation free shave. That's been my experience any way.

That said, I'll still have a nice long Sunday shave with my favorite razor tommorow, and I'll still try a brand new soap puck I didn't need to buy. 😋

Last edited:
Yup. Conditioner works just fine. For that matter, the little hotel bar soap will do just fine. Even the brush is largely unnecessary.

It's fun to overcomplicate shaving when we have the luxury of time in our own shave den, but pretty much anything slippery can give you a good, irritation free shave. That's been my experience any way.

That said, I'll still have a nice long Sunday shave with my favorite razor tommorow, and I'll still try a brand new soap puck I didn't need to buy. 😋
Yep, I'm not getting rid of my favorite shaving creams any time soon! :)

linty1

My wallet cries.
Yes! I tried that once when we were travelling and I completely forgot to bring shaving things. Picked up a free Bic disposable from front desk, took a hot shower, then slathered conditioner on my face with a hand and went at it.

I haven't felt the need to go this route, even when travelling.
Good to know that it will work in a pinch.

At one point I used to use a particular conditioner preferentially over shave gels/canned goo. It was Aussie something or other, and I really liked it for shaving.

This was before I discovered B&B and changed my way of shaving completely.

Going on a trip at the end of this month for the first time in well over a year. I have an old tube of I Coloniali that I will take with me to apply by hand. Works just like conditioner, but slightly better, and it smells better than any conditioner I've ever tried.

Hair conditioner is in fact a moisturizer (for hair). Any moisturizer or body lotion is just as effective. Lotions being thinner are less likely to cause razor clogging of DE,SE and Carts'

I experimented a while back with using hair conditioner as a pre-shave but I was a little gobsmacked when I watched the video and saw he was actually lathering the conditioner in bowl. I was so shocked I immediately went into my bathroom Shaving Den of Iniquity and tried this myself, using the TRESemmé conditioner we have. I had to play around with the water/conditioner ratio but, in less than two minutes, I had what I would consider entirely acceptable looking shaving lather. Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked, but I really am. I'm going to try shaving with this tomorrow out of sheer curiosity.

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
Conditioner! Duh!

You got me thinking. On our next auto trip, I may drain a little 5W20 at day’s end to use as a preshave, then top off the Honda crankcase as needed. Done right, scheduled oil changes become a thing of the past.

Or not.

Top Bottom