What's new
  • Welcome back Guest!
    If you have been away from our site you may have to request a new password. Simply click on the link for "lost" password in the log in page.
    Thank you.
    The BST is now open, please note the changes in our guidelines to address the recent fraudulent activity. Ensure you read the guidelines prior to creating a sale thread in the Buy-Sell-Trade forum with special attention to the new photo and payment requirements.
    Thank you for your patience and understanding.

Hair Conditioner as Shaving Cream

Some of you mention bar soap. Does that not leave the skin quite dry? I've always understood hand/body soap to be too strong for facial skin. Or is it just a "in a pinch" type of thing?

Don't know if I've just discovered something everyone else already knew about, but on a tip, I tried some hair conditioner as a shaving cream and it worked remarkably well! Even lathered up! One less thing I need to bring on trips. I'll just use the hotel's conditioner to shave with. :)
Learned something today. Thanks for the post.

Yes, it is slick. To me the question on a hobbyist forum is not "Does it work?" or even "Does it work extremely well?" but "Does it enhance my shaving experience?" I shall stick to working a good face lather with MdC Fougere using a Kent BK4 or a Chubby 1 in best.

cryhavoc

Contributor
I've shaved with both hair conditioner as well as bar soap in a pinch, of the two conditioner is slicker. I much prefer my brush and soaps and would always use them if I had a choice.

cryhavoc

Contributor
Some of you mention bar soap. Does that not leave the skin quite dry? I've always understood hand/body soap to be too strong for facial skin. Or is it just a "in a pinch" type of thing?
Yardley soaps are tallow based and lather up well, they didn't dry my face as much as Ivory soap. I think the drying really depends on your skin type, give it a shot and see what you think.

cryhavoc

Contributor
I experimented a while back with using hair conditioner as a pre-shave but I was a little gobsmacked when I watched the video and saw he was actually lathering the conditioner in bowl. I was so shocked I immediately went into my bathroom Shaving Den of Iniquity and tried this myself, using the TRESemmé conditioner we have. I had to play around with the water/conditioner ratio but, in less than two minutes, I had what I would consider entirely acceptable looking shaving lather. Maybe I shouldn't be so shocked, but I really am. I'm going to try shaving with this tomorrow out of sheer curiosity.
[/QUOTE

So how did it go?

Top Bottom