What's new

Hair conditioner as a pre shave

I'm sure someone out there has tried hair conditioner as a pre shave. I would like to know what your experience has been. Thanks,

I tried it as a pre-shave and it did nothing for me. Now I shower after I shave and I put a little on my face and it is quite soothing. :wink2:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I use a regular bar of soap in the shower but yes, some use the conditioner with very good results.

I have a friend who uses it to shave with. Of course he uses a disposable cartridge as well. So who knows? He likes his shave results.:mellow:

I tried it, and didn't find it worked all that well. What does work for me is using Cremo Cream as my face wash in the shower. It really softens the beard.

I find it helps a bunch with my tough as nails beard! I use conditioner every morning. I just recently bought some Trader Joe's Tea Tree Tingle Conditioner with Peppermint and Eucalyptus (say that 5 times fast :lol:). Stuff has this crazy tingly on your beard and also after the shower has such a fresh cool feeling from the air on your face. I really like it, I also purchased the Tea Tree Tingle Shampoo as well. They can be purchased on Amazon for $8 however at Trader Joe's I picked up for only $3.84 for shampoo and I believe and $4 something for the conditioner.

Anyways I will be doing a review after a month of use on the products as I really like them a bunch!! The next thing I plan on adding to the Tea Tree Mix is Coates Tea Tree Cream. I saw some reviews that people said it burned their face however I like the tingle so I am down for trying it. What ever you have I am sure it will work, I used to use Pantene and also Nancy Boy Conditioner I just saw this at Trader Joe's and had to try it :w00t: and have been nothing but impressed!!!!

Product Description
We've worked with an upscale boutique to bring you this salon-quality conditioner that will rejuvenate your hair with its refreshing tingle. A blend of certified organic botanicals including peppermint and tea tree work together to moisturize and clarify your hair while alleviating dry scalp. Our product contains no laurel/laureth sulfates found in most shampoos and is suitable for all hair types.

I know that many members have, or do, use conditioner as their pre-shave. The best thing you can do it to give it a try yourself and see if it does anything for you. If nothing is ventured, nothings gained. Let us know how it worked for you. :laugh: :biggrin1: :001_rolle

I think it depends on which kind of conditioner you use.

Some conditioners are made to "Strengthen" hair, and will be labeled as such. Others will be made to "Soften" hair, and will be labeled as such.

I'd assume you want to use one that will soften your hair.

In terms of softening the hair, the hot water from the shower will do a terrific job. For me, I use a pre-shave product more for skin protection. A good pre-shave product will leave a nice thin layer between the blade and the skin, eliminating any razor irritation; especially for those with more sensitive skin. The key is to get a product that doesn't clog pores.

Last edited:
Why? What purpose does it serve? I know why I use conditioner on my hair, but none of those reasons seem to apply to shaving. Hair conditioners don't appear to resemble more conventional pre-shave products.

What are you trying to accomplish with it, and how does hair conditioner go about doing this? What hair conditioners are people using on their faces?

I think Mantic suggests it as a cheap alternative in his videos, no?

Yes he does; it's probably where most of us got the idea.

I apply a small amount of hair conditioner to my beard as I make my lather. I am not 100% sure it actually does that much, but it certainly doesn't hurt either.

I think Mantic suggests it as a cheap alternative in his videos, no?
In "Tips for a better shave" he says:

"Oh, there is one other thing you can do. Plain old hair conditioner. You use it on top of your head, why not on your beard too?" The subtitle suggests softening conditioner, not strengthening. No reason given, and not as an alternative to anything.

Why not? I'd rather know why. It's important to know how what you're doing works in order to do it right.

I find outside of prescription grade products, no one really has any clear understanding of what anything is supposed to do, and if they do, they have no idea how.

A lot of it is just sort of passed down. Some actually works, some doesn't and often times even that is based on the circumstances surrounding its use.

Hence I go by what works (and is hopefully safe), and not bother asking why.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I'm sure someone out there has tried hair conditioner as a pre shave. I would like to know what your experience has been. Thanks,

I do. It seems to help- it is either that or the additional time I allow hot water to flow over my beard.

Or just as easily it could be, it gets you thinking more about your shave, so it makes you more careful, so you get better shaves! :001_smile

Top Bottom