What's new

Hail Aqua Velva

Anyone have any suggestions for an edt that won't clash with the AV, or at least complement it in a non-offensive manner?

For me, Aqua Velva is too strong to wear EDT also. I have to choose: AV or EDT? Actually, for me, a lot of after shave splashes are like that.

In Canada as well, although that's almost the States.:sneaky2:

you sure? several pharmacies i went to carried it, as well as Walmart, check your local walmart!

holy cow this thing burns worse than an alum block (testament to my poor technique... or bad razor/blade combo)

but it's far far more soothing afterwards than say... mugso, even though i much prefer the smell of mugso, this stuff has it's own kinda lure to it

The smell and feeling on your face afterwards are great. I find myself constantly touching my newly shaven areas. The slick feeling is due to the glycerin, which someone mentioned over at SRP. And, best of all, it's cheap. Add the fact that CVS and I believe Walmart, have their own generic versions and it's dirt cheap. The CVS version of the 5 oz. bottle was around $2.25 compared to $4.59 for the original, and they have identical ingredients. That's good stuff at a good price.

I picked up a bottle and liked it very much; very cooling and soothing. Unfortunately, my wife told me that I smelled like a combination of old man and cigarettes and that I should never use that aftershave again. Oh well. At least I gave it a try.

I picked up a bottle and liked it very much; very cooling and soothing. Unfortunately, my wife told me that I smelled like a combination of old man and cigarettes and that I should never use that aftershave again. Oh well. At least I gave it a try.

That's too bad. My fiancee isn't too crazy about the stuff either...come to think of it, she doesn't really care too much for a lot of the colognes I have...oh well, if you're cool with letting this one get away, then no problem, otherwise you can do as I do (with the colognes, anyway...I use the AV with every shave) and use it on occasion so as to not upset the wife and still be able to enjoy a classic. Good luck!

I bought some of this stuff last week, reading this post, i just got the guts to use it for the first time. I have had some experience with alcohol based A/S

I shaved about 4 hours ago, still have some razor burn since i did not use Proraso ASB, i applied some Aqua Velva and WOW, it was like that Home Alone scene, burnt like crazy for a few seconds, now all i feel is a nice cooling sensation.

For those of you that don't like the Aqua Velva scent. You ought to give the Proraso a try. I find the scent to be more pleasing to myself and my wife. It is more expensive than the Aqua Velva but nothing like the price of some of the ASBs out there.

I forgot to add that I did try Aqua Velva a few weeks ago based on all the posts from Doc Mottern and Trader Joe on it. I do like the sting and then cooling sensation. Bottomline...it is good stuff and completely unbeatable for the price!

BTW: I recently saw a huge bottle for $7.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I just might have to give it a try if I remember the next time I'm shopping for toiletries.

I've been using Aqua Velva for years and the last few years almost exclusively. I get a big bottle at Target fairly cheaply.

Dave

Antique Hoosier

“Aircooled”
My wife got me a Big Bottle of Aqua Velva at Wally World for Valentines..How romantic.... Used it today for the first time in my life......Loving It.

I stocked up a few years ago when Albertson's grocery closed up in Tennessee and they had most everything 50% off. I'm down to a bottle and a half, enough to get me through the summer. A solid old school after shave and much better than Old Spice in my opinion.

:a44: after reading this thread I had to buy the original AV tonight. It had me at my first splash. I am worried about drying my face out though. I will reserve the stuff for those special nights:ladysman:

Aqua Velva is a truly classic scent. Its so often seen as cheap and tacky. But it smells great, and feels really nice to use. its one of those things you'll always come back to.

I've been having fun with an old bottle I got. How old? I don't know but it's from when Williams made shaving cream.

attachment.php

Howard,

My Grandfather used Williams brushless shave cream. When I first saw him put it on, I thought is was toothpaste. My dad used an electric shaver and that was the first time I saw anyone shave with a blade.

Man, what a memories that picture launched.

So many of us (myself included!) have spent tons of cash on fancy, expensive aftershaves. The pricey ones probably do offer more complex scents. But Aqua Velva is so cheap and so nice. And if you're talking about alcohol based aftershaves, is there any difference between Aqua Velva and a $100 a bottle aftershave in terms of what it does for your face other then the scent?

Top Bottom